It isn’t an “it” Scott, it’s a “they”, and there are 9 of them. According to the Fleet Type Submarine Online site they are located as follows:
1. Main ballast tank No. 1
2. Main ballast tanks No. 2B and 2D
3. Main-ballast tanks No. 2A and 2C
4. Fuel ballast tanks No. 3A and 3B
5. Fuel ballast tanks No. 4A and 4B
6. Fuel ballast tanks No. 5A and 5B
7. Main ballast tanks No. 6B and 6D
8. Main ballast tanks No. 6A and 6C
9. Main ballast tank No. 7
Anyway, here is the update I promised.
After Scott pointed me to the Fleet Type Submarine Online site following my question about the AS’s, I decided to look through the plans I had downloaded again and found that plans named “superstructure-sides-maindeck-fr66-125_basic544683alt5_5400-07-0032” show all of the deck features I am interested in, the hatches, the AS’s, the blow valves, and davit holes, etc. So, I brought it into my deck file, scaled it and aligned it with the existing wood deck. I then traced all of the important features, as seen in the images below.
I then copied them all to the model and the deck working area, I guess you could call it, copied Part 4 to the drawing, and sliced the deck section to match it.
Here’s a close up of the Part 4 deck with the tracings positioned on it. The round circle is the location of the forward edge of the fairweather.
As before the tracings for the AS’s had to be resized and moved slightly due to the off scale battens I had to use. In the image below the red line is the outline traced from the plans and the magenta line is the resized and positioned version.
I had to do the same for the blow valves.
The image below shows the deck with the modified features.
These new outlines were extruded through the deck…
At this point I moved the deck over the model, but as before the deck at thispoint on the ship is not flat, it is sloped, as seen in the image below.
So I rotated it and as before, l copied it down in stages subtracting as I went, until it was in position.
The end didn’t quite get cut off on the aft end, so I drew a polyline…
…And subtracted it.
Next I copied the fairwater to the drawing…
…And subtracted it. For some reason AutoCad wouldn’t let me subtract it any lower than 0.01” above where it is supposed to be. I have no reason why, so I guess I will have to live with it.
With the deck complete and in position, I joined it to the rest of the model and prepared to add the AS’s.
To assure proper alignment, I used the clipboard to copy them to the various locations and then joining and subtracting t he various parts as before.
At this point I stopped because I don’t know what the blow valves look like. I will complete the part when I do.