Banner Ad 1

USS Greenling (SSN-614) Scratchbuild

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: USS Greenling (SSN-614) Scratchbuild

Postby salmon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Ditto what Scott said!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks guys! We seem to be in agreement.

This design would most utilize the beautiful African mahogany wood and I could still leave the model unattached. Still, I am looking into all of my options because I am a strong believer in the KISS principle. After my last post, I found a shade riser available at Ace Hardware.

It looks like it would work and there is an Ace on the way to my parent’s house, where I am going in a bit. It would mean attaching it, but maybe this isn’t a bad thing. I like holding it and revolving it in my hands, but when my wife touches it, I freak out. I think I would do this regardless of who it was. Tom D has never let me down before. Perhaps I should listen.

No matter what I do, the base will be the same, so now I have to find a table saw to cut it up. My buddy is so busy, I hate to bug him again. Plus I feel bad about having a suck ass design the first time. :oops:

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:42 am

UPDATE 91

Greetings All!

It has been nearly a month since my last update and neither the base nor the plaques have been completed. Sooner Trophy told me last Friday it would be ready Monday, but I haven’t heard a word. The friend who is making the base has been super busy and hasn’t had the time, or desire, to finish it. I can’t blame him though. He does carpentry for a living. I imagine the last thing he wants to do when he gets home is more wood working. Plus he has 2 little ones that need and deserve his attention. That is FAR more important in my book. Anyway, he has offered to let me use his shop, which is awesome. I would really rather make it myself anyway. I’m going to call him in a couple of hours to see if I can get the key to get in. Hopefully I can get it made today so I can start treating it again.

As for getting the detailed Greenling model printed, I have no idea what is going on. I haven’t heard from Pavel in ages, to the point that I have suspended doing work on the Bertholf project. I don’t know what the future holds for that prospect. As most of you know I have turned my attention back to Batfish and am making good progress on her, but I’m going to have the same problem getting her printed as I am with Greenling.

There’s still hope though. I have been contacted by another individual to make some 1/700 scale 1950’s era aircraft for a build he is doing of Midway. He doesn’t have 3D printing capabilities, but I intend to use the money he pays me to print my parts. So far, I have done two first drafts for him, the Douglas AD-5 (A-1E) Skyraider…

…And a slight variation on that, the AD-5W (EA-1E) Skyraider.

The AD-5 took about 8 hours. The AD-5W, which was basically just the dome on the underside, took 6 hours. That dome is such an odd shape it took me several tries to figure out how to do it. I have no idea how they will come out when printed, but I am happy with the way they came out. The guy who is paying me to make these says that he wants 4 or 5, but I don’t know what the other planes are and so far he has only sent me the plans for the Skyraiders.

There has been a benefit to the parts not being printed. You may recall that the hull design I did included an etched line for the waterline that I would need to fill and sand. Well, I decided to see if I can remove them, and was successful. The details are provided in the next 2 posts. I started with Part02-Hull Section 2, because Part 01-Hull Section1 has already been printed, putting whiskers on it for my cutting planes.

The image below shows the results of using the whiskers to slice the part. The key is that the angle between the whiskers is the same and the pairs of whiskers are mirror images of each other.

The yellow segment was joined back to the green bottom and the magenta sections, containing the groove I am removing, were deleted.

The cyan segment was then rotate/copied to fill the gap.

The replacement was then mirrored to the other side and everything was joined back together.

It worked so I moved to Part06-Hull Section 3 again using mouse whiskers to slice it and remove the effected part.

Then rotate/copying a clean part to fill the gap and mirroring it to the other side.

Once again, it was successful, so I moved to Part07-Hull Section 4, again drawing mouse whiskers...

…Slicing along the whiskers…

…Joining the unaffected section to the bottom...

…Deleting the section with the groove…

…Rotate/copying the clean section to fill the gap…

…Mirror imaging the clean section to the other side…

…And joining it all together.

To be continued…
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:55 am

UPDATE 92

Just as things were getting kind of redundant and I realized that I only needed half the whiskers, things changed on Part08-Hull Section 5. Whiskers wouldn’t work. In the images below, you can see why. There is an access plate near the waterline groove near the forward edge. So I made a real thin pie slice.

…When I extruded it, to see how it would look, it didn’t look good. It sliced across the groove I am trying to remove.

So, it was time for Plan B, which consisted of using parallel lines instead of pie slices.

These parallel lines were then rotate/copied to a blank place on the hull…

…And sliced away.

I then subtracted the section with the groove on it…

…Rotate/copied the clean section to fill the gap.

…Mirrored it to the other side…

…And joined everything together.

This method was equally as effective, so I moved to Part09-Hull Section 6, but used yet another method, drawing parallel lines length wise instead of a crosswise.

The rest of the procedure was similar to before, but easier. I sliced it along the lines…

…Subtracted the grooved section…

...Mirrored the clean section to fill the gap…

…And joined it all together.

Unfortunately, I had inadvertently filled a vent hole which required filling. So I moved and rotated my coordinate system, drew the circles needed to clean it out…

…Extruded the smaller circle along the larger circle…

…And subtracted it.

This too was successful. At this point I decided to go ahead and fix Part01-Hull Section 1. Even though it has already been printed, it may be possible to print it again so I don’t have to do all of the filling and sanding required to fix it by hand, an activity that seems to me to increase the risk of breaking off some of the smaller parts.

This part was particularly difficult due to the proximity of the numbers and the fact that I screwed up when I made the etching and it isn’t even straight. You could say that it was a f’ed up f up. I therefore had to draw a polyline that wasn’t straight to encapsulate the groove. Even the line shown in the image below didn’t quite get it, so I had to redraw it, even though it is not shown.

Instead of slicing along planes as I had been doing, I had to extrude the bent lines through the hull…

…And slice it using the surfaces.

The red grooved section was deleted…

…Mirrored the clean section to fill the gap…

…And joined it all together.

It worked like a charm. Even the area around the numbers came out good.

I don’t know that this last piece will ever get reprinted, but at least now, if the opportunity arises I’m ready.

The good news is that I just got in touch with my biddy and he is going to let me use his shop tomorrow.

YEAH!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 am

UPDATE 93

Good Morning Everybody!

My buddy finally had some spare time to help me redo the base yesterday evening. Wroyce is a nice guy and a Wizard when it comes to woodworking.

Several years ago he made a free standing spiral staircase for a rather large house/small mansion that truly is a work of art.

His shop is nice and it has one especially nice fixture in it, in case you forget where you are.

We talked about what I wanted and he went to work. An hour and a couple of beers later I had a base that was much improved over my initial design.

Now it is time for sanding, followed by sanding sealer then more sanding and another shot of sealer, followed by more sanding and several coats of lacquer, sanding between coats. Hopefully the plaques will be finished this week too, so I might actually finish it.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 am

UPDATE 94

Hi Guys!

Here are a few pictures of the base after two coats of sanding sealer and two coats of lacquer (with sanding between coats). I have several coats to go, but I think it is starting to look pretty good.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:00 pm

UPDATE 95

Well Guys,

The base is finished, except for the plaques, which supposedly were being made today, and hopefully will be ready tomorrow. In the meantime here is the completed base, without the plaques. There are 2 coats of sanding sealer and 6 coats of lacquer on it and felt strips glued to the cradles.

And here are a couple images with Greenling in place.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:01 pm

UPDATE 96

Hi Everybody!

My first ever CAD designed and 3D printed model is completed. I picked up the plaques yesterday, which I had attached to the base. I am very happy with the way it turned out and it faaarrr exceeds my expectations when I started this adventure. Thanks again for all of your input and enjoy the pix!

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby lucky13dave » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:10 pm

That is a piece of work! Congratulations, this has been a lot of fun to follow. Thanks!
lucky13dave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Classy finish with the plates and stand. :)

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:38 am

Russell,
This has been a fun WIP. It is also fun to see you grow as a model builder with new skills being gained and the friendships being made. Thank you for posting this.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Beautiful work, Russell! You need to write this up (with illustrations) for the SubCommittee Report. We hear a lot about the potential for 3-D printing in our hobby, but yours is the first detailed exercise to completion of a large, complete model. I am sure the membership would love to see this.

It's been a lot of fun watching both this and the Batfish project!
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Good Morning Guys!

I really appreciate all of the kind remarks and am glad that you have enjoyed following this build. It has certainly been a learning experience for me and I suspect that it has for you as well. The good news is that although the first model is complete, the second, more detailed model, has a long way to go yet, so there will be more posts in the (I hope) not too distant future.

With regards to the article, Tom D, I have been in contact with Jeff about it for some time, and have already written the major portion of an article. I need to talk to him again though, now that the first model is completed. I expect that an article will appear at some point.

Now for something completely different… (Any old Monty Python’s Flying Circus buffs out there?)

A friend of mine sent me the link below. I think you will enjoy it. It’s brilliant!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/ ... ing-theory
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Funny, I just finished two books, both by Nobel Prize winning physicists, who are both very skeptical of String Theory, in that it yields no readily testable hypotheses for experimental physics.
"Interactions: A Journey Through the Mind of a Particle Physicist and the Matter of This World" by Sheldon L. Glashow
"A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics From the Bottom Down" by Robert Laughlin

Just to show you (as a biologist) that physicists have no corner on the parody market, try this one for laughs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl4L4M8m4d0
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:54 pm

No readily testable hypotheses”… That makes it more religion than science. You either believe it or you don’t. To me it seems that some of the absurdities come from mathematics and math is just a language, like English or music. Just as you can put words or notes together to get garbage, I think you can get answers in math that perhaps make since mathematically but are not reality. But I must say that I haven’t studied the details
I can relate to the Bad Project video. I was thinking that was what my dissertation was until we had the unusually wet summer.
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads