Glad you guys are getting all that bow work figured out. It will make my life easier when I start work down there.
Meanwhile up in the shears...
Trigger had most, but not all, of the original hull plating removed from the periscope shears over the course of her refits. The very front and a little around the sides was left intact I presume for hydrodynamic reasons. I used thin sheet styrene to replicate this and put it back on my models shears. It was easier to do in four parts and blend them in. I pre-curved the two front pieces a little then carefully clamped and glued them in when I got the shapes right. It's thin stuff so the abuse of getting all four in there put some nicks and dings on them. The deeper ones got putty but the lighter dings I'll leave and call dishing.
The next part was to get the radar bracing put in. I had to build a little shelf for the bottom of the top one to sit on and carved out a channel shaped evergreen strip to represent it. The bottom one is a Plastistruct ladder with some of the rungs removed. They both are pretty close to my references and better yet I already had them in hand. They are just wedged in here for the photo until later permanent installation of the radar mast.
Another prominent feature up here is the searchlight. Once again I thought a simple adaptation of the kit part would suffice. Nope. The kit part is horrible. Maybe they were trying to replicate the corrugated looking housing on the prototype searchlight but it just reeks. I myself tried to replicate that look on my subsequent scatch-mod but I couldn't get the effect fine enough for the scale so the can stays smooth.
I made mine out of aluminum tubing. There is a brass one on the inside down enough so that a clear lens can rest on it flush with the top. As I was looking around for a suitable source of clear lens plastic I happened upon my badge for the 2008 Subregatta and that seemed to fit the bill.
I rounded off the back of the can with some Milliput and a coating of thin CA to make a hard shell. I thought about how to replicate the signaling louvers and hit upon using brass P/E deck railings for 1/350 scale ships. (Also had on hand). I glued in on with superglue and some Future floor wax for clarity.
My reference picture shows a flat plate mounted in front of the searchlight post. I presume it was to deflect water around it so as not to bend it as the ship moved along underwater. I replicated the plate with more channel strip and the bolts with some Archer decals. These decals are actual hemispheres so they have height. They worked really well here and I plan to use lines of them to replace some that have gone missing with the conning tower modifications.
I used the kit searchlight bracket I just snipped it away from the kit can. I had just originally superglued it to the can but in the course of trying to fit in the lens it broke apart, I knew it would never hold up to running submerged. So, I got out the superfine drill bits and ran a wire through all points. Thank you Opti-Visor! Technically I could have left it "posable" but I glued it all down for strength.
This turned into quite a little project. Lens with louvers in, louver handle on and another one on the back. Quick shot of primer and there ya go. Kit part also shown...uck.
I took a quick shot at trying to fashion the "hula-hoops" the lookout held onto at their stations. I may have chosen a slightly over of scale wire to do this but I want it to be strong. I made some basic loops on a mandrel and with a lot of help from some third hand clamps and some heat sinks I got all three points soldered into a passable representation. I haven't tried to fit it anywhere yet. This is a test, this is only a test.
Getting all five of these done and in place is next, then I start moving down to the bridge deck level and details in that area.
Meanwhile I had to organize myself a little better as I was just getting buried and my work area getting smaller and smaller. I made a wrench holder similar for what you might purchase from a "micro" tool catalog, but for pennies. Also when I found I couldn't reach my dang toothpicks as glue was oozing out the tube I decided I needed a consumables caddy too. Old dog prescription vials and some MDF. Some say the word "genius" is overused but feel free to use it if you like...