Banner Ad 1

1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

Postby Ober Freak » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Looking pretty good Paul! Can't wait to see your attempt on the limber holes.

I installed the locking frames on the central section.
front:
ImageImage

and back:
ImageImage

with the WTC tube slid in:
ImageImage

and the front and end parts connected:
ImageImageImage

Thats it from Puffer.
Marco
Ober Freak
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Perfect, Marco! (But I had to remember you're doing hull bayonet rings before I quite realized what you're up to!) I'm thinking maybe a couple or three of those "locking frames," in my case, could be made removable and configured as clips to sturdy up the hull beneath the deck—since my tube will be dropping in from the top. Maybe not even necessary...will have to see.

Paul, I'm noticing the superstructure holes behind the bow planes are quite different on your Drum reference photo than in the kit pieces. Which way did Wahoo's look—or neither?—and if different are you going to be able to recreate them? (Those superstructure spots you opened up to show the pressure hull curve, BTW, are incredible. Wow! Again.)

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ober Freak » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:28 pm

I don't know yet, if I will do my deck completely detachable, as it's not really needed with my system, maybe only some parts of it.

Today I glued the fixed receiving frame into the front section. The front WTC section can be screwed to it then.
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

so far, Marco.
Ober Freak
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:41 pm

I really like your approach, Marco. Keep up the great work.

Jeff, you are correct. The kit holes in the bow plane wells will not do. Wahoo's are pretty much like Drum's -- round holes with a column of vertical half-moon ladder rung holes. I plan on plugging the kit openings first, then going back and drilling new ones. This is approx. next on my bow section to do list.

The good news is round holes are very easy to make in the thinner plastic of the bow planes area. I make a center hole with the tip of a #11 x-acto blade and use it as a pilot for the correct diameter drill bit. By slowly hand twisting the full size bit it doesn't wander and carves out a very neat round hole. The end result looks like it was cast in the kit. The crescent shaped ones will be a bit more trouble though. Fortunately, the Nautilus Models limber hole template has some similar holes in them I can use as a stencil (at least it wasn't a total loss).

The image below is an actual fleet boat plan sheet showing the bow plane well limber holes. I reduced it to the proper size for a guide to map the Gato style holes on the kit. I cleaned the image up in Photoshop for my purposes when I reduced it. You can right click and save it. It should print out to scale for the kit on your printer. Use the bow plane control shaft hub as your guide to properly locate it on the kit. The full size plans were found here: http://maritime.org/tech/drawings/index.htm

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:20 pm

So I made a run at filling the unwanted bow plane limber holes and so far, so good. Here's the process I used:

I traced the hole to be filled onto some graph paper held to the part from the back side.

Then I cut out the tracing to make a template.

Next I traced the template on the plastic stock sheet of the same wall thickness as the bow plane area.

Using some small metal snips I cut the traced part out of the sheet and then worked it to shape using a sanding block and coarse sand paper.

Here the plug part is compared to the hole. Looking pretty good.

Once the part is properly fit to the hole, I taped it from the front to keep it flush with the outboard contour and applied Pro-Weld from the back side to glue it into place. With the part secured, I took off the tape and glued it from the front side as well. Any small gaps were filled with baking soda and hit with CA.

Overall, a fairly simple fix. We'll see about the row of small round holes on the aft end of the part. I was hoping to create a punch out of brass rod to stamp the plugs out but I'm not sure the size of the hole will be a standard tubing i.d.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:11 am

Once again, hat's off. Looks great!

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:12 pm

BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:22 pm

:lol:

Had a real face-palm moment just now. For the small round holes just slice off discs from plastic rod the same diameter.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:04 am

Touché.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:29 pm

After several fruitless searches for a Plastruct vendor on my side of town I carved up sheet for the small holes myself and finished plugging them. Some sanding with coarse grit helped level everything off.

Before and after. With experimentation, I found that the best way to open the large round holes was to mark the centers using the plans template piece, hand drill a starter hole with an undersized bit, scribe the finished hole using a geometric template, then finish off with a rat tail file. I hit the new holes with a shot of primer to get a better look. The crescent hand ladder holes are going to be a challenge. But so far, so good.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:56 am

Wow Paul, that is some mighty fine detailing!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks, Tom, we're getting there. It is interesting what a modeler considers essential detail. There are things on my list that are musts. Then there are certain things that aren't. For example, the drawings show small square openings on either side of the bow plane bearings. I'm not worried about them. But the five round holes were a deal breaker. The extra row of bow buoyancy tank flood holes were essential. The small openings for the forward torpedo tube shutter pivots are not :D To each his own.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Paul,
How about cutting the climbing holes in a flat sheet of plastic (maybe from some clear package plastic or sheet strene).
Drill oversize holes in hull and then paste the sheet over those holes so the climbing holes center over the holes in the hull.
It should give you a thin crisp edge and be easier to cut than tooling on the hull. If you butt it up against that angle it might
be less blending to make it purtee.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Scott, I've been thinking along those lines as well. I was also thinking about molding the area once it is finished to see how a GRP part would look.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:51 pm

I violated an important rule yesterday and paid the price: never clean your workbench. Pleased with all my progress I figured I would swab the decks so I could really double down. I organized drawings and plans, put away tools, tidied and swept all the plastic dust and shavings I've been producing. Sure it looked good. But when it came time to get back to work I couldn't find my PE anchor well hole template. Or my two bow buoyancy flood templates.

To proceed, I had to break out the second PE anchor well hole part from the fret. With that in hand I drilled out the port side holes. One more step down.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads