Banner Ad 1

rc revell lionfish

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

rc revell lionfish

Postby Greg W » Tue May 17, 2011 10:14 pm

here are some pictures of my Lionfish. It is made for surface running only.I am new to this kind of build log stuff (I always read them I just don't write them), But I'll try it. As background I found the 8 balls from subron 8 last year.I have been building targets for close to 40 years and wanted something for surface running with my 1/192 battleship and aircraft carrier. Last month Crazy Ivan had his Gato and tug out together and that got me thinking. The Lionfish is 1/180 scale so it is close to what I wanted. She made her maiden voyage at subron 8 may indoor run. Hopefully Patti's pics came out as I didn't get any of it running.The running gear are servo motors from old heathkit servos. they were wired to servo boards but I couldn't get both motors working together good enough so an old esc was removed from its case and put to use.the reciever is a futaba 2 channel stripped from its case also.power is supplied to the radio and esc from 4 AA rechargable batteries.the decks are sealed on to help keep the water out.The motors were wired for counter rotating shafts so when I attached the supplied props I had a problem ( they're the same)new props were scratch built and work ok just not as pretty as I would like.Accept for the kit itself and some brass tubing everything came from the spare parts bin.

the hull halves getting their running gear
the halves joined before completing the wiring and adding the decks
the decks sealed on with a raised edge under the conning tower and a pin to help hold the tower on.
Greg W
SubCommittee Member

Re: rc revell lionfish

Postby Larry Kuntz » Tue May 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Great job Greg. It ran well Sunday at the Y. Your write-up is good too. We'll make a honest 8Ball out of you yet. :wink:
Larry Kuntz
SubRon8
ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubCommittee Member

Postby Greg W » Tue May 17, 2011 11:15 pm

isn't "an honest 8 ball" an oxymoron like "military intelligence"
?
Greg W
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed May 18, 2011 12:31 am

very cool build!
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Greg W » Thu May 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Here are a couple of water shots that Don O (or Patti ) took at sundays run.Don posted them over on the subron 8 section and I stole them like the honest 8 ball that I am.

Greg W
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri May 20, 2011 8:00 am

Excellent!! :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Return to Builder Threads