Banner Ad 1

1/24th scale Delphin

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/24th scale Delphin

Postby Chuck Chesney » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Andy....you're being too modest. You are always a fountain of rational, intelligent, information and you've demonstrated those skills again. Take a well deserved bow.
Chuck

"The Japanese solders would die for the Emperor, which made them formidable. The U.S. Marines would die for each other, which made them invinceable"...Iwo Jima
Chuck Chesney

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:39 am

Turned the master for vac-forming the clear bubble. It was made from a small piece of mahogany type wood, which I bonded onto a larger piece of scrap timber to hold in the chuck whilst its was turned. To get the shape I bench fitted a simple form tool from some 5mm steel plate.

Any nicks or coarse grain was filled with polyester filler, then the whole piece sanded smooth with 500 grit paper, but not polished, as too smooth a finish is deferential to the vac-forming process.

Diameter of the hemisphere is 21mm, which with the added thickness of the formed material will make for a 22mm diameter dome.

I have plenty of clear 0.5mm PET plastic which is good for forming as it melts at a low temperature and doesn't usually require any pre-drying. This plastic tends to come free of charge, as it's product packaging which would normally just end up in the dustbin.

'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:31 am

Intended to vacform this from some 0.5mm PET, but thought I'd try just pressing it through, which worked, sort of, but sadly had a little bit pinch up at the back of the dome. So I'll think I'll have to do it the proper way.

Close but no cigar!

Mocked up inside the trimmed canopy.

'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Builder Threads