Banner Ad 1

Possible Future SubRonSW Fun Run Location!

SubRon for the Southwestern United States

Possible Future SubRonSW Fun Run Location!

Postby Warpatroller » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Hey guys, I literally just stumbled onto a real cool possibility for a future "Fun Run" type venue if our Subcommittee chapter membership grows to more than just a hand full of people. This place is less than two miles from my house and I wasn't even aware it existed until today.. :oops:

It is the McDowell Mountain Ranch Park and Aquatic Center, located in North Scottsdale at the Southeast corner of Thompson Peak Parkway and McDowell Mountain Ranch Road.

In addition to a couple regular large pools, they have a very interesting 600 foot long river (lazy lap) pool as part of the facility! It is intended for Adult ONLY lap swimming and looks like an aquatic race track. Subs could cruise around the track instead of just running back n forth in a square pool. I've never seen something like this before in person!

This is a new facility and was built some time between 2006 and 2008.

Check out this photo of the river pool:

Here is an aerial view of the river pool from Google maps. The facility is so new that as you can see it was still under construction when this satellite photo was taken (it is full of water now):

I haven't been this excited about something since I bought my Farrah Fawcett poster back in 1976!! :D Which you can see below:

I guess that shows my age.. and my some times unusual sense of humor :lol: And no, I no longer have the poster..

Only got a peek of the river pool from outside the facility today as they are closed on Sundays. I can guarantee you I will be investigating the potential use of this "RC boating track" further :twisted:

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRonSW - The Cactus Navy