Banner Ad 1

Crew Report

SubRon for the Southwestern United States

Crew Report

Postby aeroengineer1 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:39 am

Guys, I have posted some of the information of the group, but have yet to hear from some of you. I need to call Jim as I have sent him a few emails and he has either not gotten them, or they are getting filtered out. I have also posted the new location of our home, but have not heard back from anybody except Steve L. He and I had a good time last Saturday.

To Steve S. Good to hear from you again. Feel free to still come and please bring your kit with you next time. I would love to see it. I will have my shop walls up at least by the next meeting, so we should have more resources for us to use.

Adam
aeroengineer1

Postby Warpatroller » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:31 am

Adam,

Sorry I didn't make it down there this past Saturday.

It is good to hear that your actually setting up a little shop at your place, as I have NO shop tools (bandsaw, lathe, drill press etc) or really anything of much to even attempt to work on subs except for glueing things together and soldering electronics which I can do at my house.

This is my situation:

I have a Revell VIIC 1:72 which I picked up for a good price last May. I feel that this particular model should be a static diver with pitch controller, and will require more work, time and money to get it in the water. Therefore, I've decided not to make it my first project.

Back in 2006 I had mentioned wanting to do a 1:72 XXIII.. This is where I'd like to start, by making it a single screw, dynamic diver with no ballast system or pitch controller. After successfully getting it running as a dynamic, then I will experiment with adding static diving functionality (and possibly a pitch controller if i find it needs it), making it a research vessel for SMALL static diving models as time and money allow.

After all that is learned (including all mistakes made) from the XXIII project, I will then apply that knowledge to the future VIIC project.

Now, I just have to work on obtaining the XXIII hull kit first..

I plan to attend the February meeting. If by then I have yet to get the XXIII hull, I will bring along my Walmart sub.

Steve

P.S. Your pool looks pretty GREEN in that tugboat photo!! It would appear you either have a pump or filtration problem that needs attention. You will probably need to give the water a shock treatment to clear up that algae. If a pool stays green long enough, it will need to be drained and refilled to bring it back to a normal clear appearence.
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby aeroengineer1 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:53 am

Yeah, the pool was very green after the rain. We put 4 gallons of chlorine in it and it is as clear as can be. The plaster is crappy in this pool, and whill eventually be redone, but we had to fill it as a condition of the loan, so we did, and it takes very little to keep it up, so it acts as a test tank for our boats.

Adam
aeroengineer1

Return to SubRonSW - The Cactus Navy