Banner Ad 1

Location List - List of where members live

Have an idea for the web site?

Postby 70-1048541373 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:10 am

Hi,

I would like to have a search list of where members live. It can be made so that if a member left that field/s blank when they register, their address/location would not be added to the list.

I'd really like to find people close to me that share the same interests. I'd get much more excited about spending time on this hobby if there was someone else to share it with. I know that we publish a list once a year and the magazines list them, but jumping into the 20th century and getting a database would be easier!

Suggestions:

1- Being on the list is purely voluntary. Add the information in your profile or not. Its up to each person.

2- Limit access to club members only! Each person gets this information anyway.

3- Offer Country, State, address, email and Phone number, ect. Again, each field is voluntary. Enter as much as YOU want or none at all.

4- Maybe a text field where they can write other info that can also be searched. If someone is looking for a member in Florida that also does Targets..I mean Surface ships.

Just a thought!
Mike
70-1048541373

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:44 pm

Mike,

Perhaps a dumb question: why wouldn't the annual membership directory serve the same purpose?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ramius » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:39 am

Jeff,
Mike is probably talking about some kind of online access.
The Report goes on,and four times a year my world stops for an hour or two while I absorb the latest and coolest(thanks for the work you guys do!).But,in truth,this website has been a major median jump forward for us all.
I check this site every day for information,and have learned volumes from it.As with everything else in cyberworld,it is instantanious for contact and information.
I would not mind making my adress avalible.Possibly for those concerned about too much information on the web,we could list state and city only.
Just a thought
"A little revolution now and then is a good thing"
Ramius-Hunt for Red October
Ramius

Postby 70-1048541373 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:34 am

Hi Jeff,

As I said, I am aware of the master list and the quartery updates in the mags, but I dont always have them in front of me.
Being a computer programmer I guess I am just use to having the data available on-line...(ie...lazy)

Plus, the added INFO box would alow people to write more detailed info that can also be searched.

As to what info is available, just add fields to our logon ID. If people choose to fill them in, then ONLY that data will be on the list! Dont want to give out your phone number...dont fill it in!
Mike
70-1048541373

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:16 am

I know that this message board has a slot in personal information where the user can fill out his location. Maybe there would be a way to have the "location" field displayed as a column when you click on "members" at the top of this page?

I'm not sure if it's doable, but if the groundwork is layed here already, maybe it won't be a big chore...
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby 70-1048541373 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:22 am

Hey,
That sounds good to me. I still beleave that there is a clause some where that I was'nt informed of......"There shall be no R/C Submariner's in upstate NJ"!
Mike
70-1048541373

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:50 am

When we bring up the new web site, one of the capabilities that we will have is a 'members only' area. The idea is to use this area of the web site to make materials available only to current SubCommittee members.

Would an online, searchable membership database with access restricted to current members be useful?

(no promises on this! We'd need to get the Executive Committee to approve making the database available)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Desert Boat » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:15 am

Your idea sounds great Jeff; standing by.
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby 70-1048541373 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:20 am

Hi Jeff,

PERFECT..... Keep it in the club. Dont make the information MANDITORY. If someone does'nt want to be on the list, so be it!

Thanks,
Mike
70-1048541373

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:59 am

>>> Dont make the information MANDITORY. If someone does'nt want to be on the list, so be it!

Hmmm...I was proposing that the entire membership database be made available. But you bring up an excellent point: what if a *member* doesn't wish to be 'findable' via the online search?

I would not propose asking someone, like our Membership Chair, to create periodic custom extracts of the membership database. That would be a lot of work!

The solution may be a database where members voluntarily add their information......?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby 70-1048541373 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:57 pm

Yep!

Offer an area where people who WANT to add information can go to and add as much or as little as THEY feel comfortable with!

Suggestions:

Name
Address
City
State
email
Tele #
comments (for any extra info they MAY want to add)

Then have some method where others can search for someone in...lets say NJ!

What would really be nice (but now I'm pushing it)...enter in MY address and then request info on anyone with in 25 miles!

Mike :D
70-1048541373

Return to Request a Feature