Banner Ad 1

Removing article, and / or users - How about...

Have an idea for the web site?

Postby Robse » Sat May 10, 2003 12:59 pm

Hi.

My name's Robert Holsting. First of all: GREAT site! I really enjoy the board, and visit it AT LEAST twice a day. My daily work is within the IT sector, and I've developed the Intranet in a world-wide company's branch covering hole Scandinavia, and from this work I have a few ideas, that I'll like to share. Hope it's ok.

1) I would like to surgest that you put a button enableing the author to an article to remove his own text, like the "Edit" option. I know one could simply "Modify" the text away, but completely removing it would also allow users to clean up after them self, and save disk space.

2) Also, during the resent problems with the board, I think that many registered again and again, possibly under new names. I did that, to test if the fault was mine, but now I cannot delete this new tempoary user that I made.
Besides, if someone wanna quit the board in all, they cannot remove themself completely. I think it would be nice to have a button in the 'personal profile' handling section labeled "Delete user".

About the board after the resent upgrade: It works great, speed is up, graphics are great, user options are great, and it's very easy to use / operate. Great job, guys!
:)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby JWLaRue » Sat May 10, 2003 5:42 pm

Hi Robert,

The ikonboard software does allow an option to allow the original poster to delete their own postings. We're of mixed minds as to whether this is a good idea or a bad idea. We're not worried so much about disk storage for the content of the forums....

The forum software does not allow a registered user to delete themselves from the system...but it's a good idea! If anyone does have a duplicate registration, I'll be glad to delete it for them.

I'll look for a 'hack' to allow self un-registration.....

-thanks!

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Robse » Sun May 11, 2003 3:10 am

Hi Jeff.

I fully inderstand your mixed minds, there ARE pros and con's to the 'Remove article' issue.

The self-deletion sounds great: A long time ago I made an email account with Yahoo.com but when I no longer wanted it, I could not remove my self. Repeated mails to admins etc. did not solve the issue for 6 (six) month. "Why not just leave the account unattended", you might ask.. Well, it's my name, and I don't wanna spread my name and personal details more than I have to, and I have a fealing that others have the same feeling.
HOWEVER: You might wanna make a 5 -> 10 day delay on this function, otherwise someone could lock on, send one of those not-so-kind-messages, and then remove them self again.... that would kind'a work against the hole idea with having to register in the first place.
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Return to Request a Feature