Banner Ad 1

Farmer launches home-made sub

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby U-5075 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:52 pm

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3528477.html

One photo, such as it is.

A Chinese farmer has completed a successful maiden voyage in his home-made one man submarine.

Tao Xiangli, 34, a migrant worker in Beijing with only a primary school education, spent 18 months making the 1.5m high, 6.5m long sub.

He tested it by taking it down to the bottom of a local river and staying there for nearly five minutes, reports the Legal Evening Post.

He greeted onlookers with a triumphant V-sign as he opened the hatch after returning to the surface.

Tao said he made the battery-powered submarine without any expert advice for about £2,700: "I made it bit by bit, purely out of my imagination," he explained.

Most of the parts came from flea markets. The sonar was improvised from a stethoscope, while the periscope is made out of an old camera.

The body of the submarine is made out of five oil drums. The cone-shaped head is stuffed with rocks and sand to help it submerge while a propeller at the rear gives it thrust.

Four directional controllers allow movement forwards and backwards, right and left, and upward and downward.

"The principle is very easy. The submarine bottom has two holes, which are closed when it's floating," he said.

"When the holes are open, water can flow in and the submarine can go down. If it needs to rise up again, I only need to press the air into the bottom space to dispel the water out."
U-5075

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:27 pm

I think the press may have slightly exaggerated Tao's success. Check out this video (referred by psubs.com) taken by one of the sub driver's buddies.

Note the guy having to strip down to his skivies to start the rescue and his pals dragging the foundering sub to shore. I think he has some ballast tank problems to sort out.

Tao is really lucky. If he had tried this in deeper water without a bunch of guys to help, he could have bought the proverbial communal farm. On the other hand - it's pretty cool that he tried it... I hope he gets it figured out! :D

CLICK HERE TO START VIDEO http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTEzNDkxNjQw.html

Image Neat looking Psub!

Image Looks like ballast tank issues.

Image Tao's posse pulling him out.

Image He's safe!

Keep trying Tao. You are doing what a lot of us bubbleheads wish we could do!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to Subs in the News