Banner Ad 1

Divers find WWII trawler sunk by U-boat

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Divers find WWII trawler sunk by U-boat

Postby U-5075 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:23 pm

http://www.eastkilbridenews.co.uk/lanar ... -22533328/

How Ralph and fellow divers found trawler sunk by WW2 U-boat
Dec 24 2008 by Graham Mann, East Kilbride News

AN AULDHOUSE man has become one the first divers to find the wreck of a large fishing trawler sunk by a German U-boat in 1942.

Ralph Lennox and fellow members of Central Scotland Dive Club (CSDC), Jim McAllister from Hamilton, and Bud Campbell from Livingstone, came across the trawler and bell as they were diving to their limit.

The wreck was lodged in deep and dark waters 20 miles out in the North Sea off Eyemouth, but the intrepid divers managed to secure the bell and bring it up from the depths.

Ralph (56), who lives with his wife Linda at their home in Auldhouse, has been involved in the club for the last 15 years.

He said: “During the Second World War, large fishing boats were prime targets.

“The German fleet would sink the vessel and capture the captain and the first mate, effectively to keep experienced sailors out of the British system and reduce fish supplies to the mainland. The sailors were then made prisoners of war.”

All three men are instructors for the CSDC which meets every Friday at Hamilton Water Palace from 8pm to 10pm.

The club are always looking for new members to learn how to dive.

The club dives all round Scottish coastal waters every weekend, and take continental diving trips two or three-times-a-year.

This year the club has dived in France and Egypt where members had the opportunity to dive with huge manta rays and many other types of shark including the famous hammerheads.

“Diving can change your life,” explained Bud, the club’s diving officer.

“You don't even have to be a brilliant swimmer, just relaxed in the water.”

The club moved to the facilities at the Hamilton Water Palace around six weeks ago after the Dollan Aqua Centre closed down when a £6 million, two-year renovation scheme began.

Ralph, who is the club’s chairman, said: “We have been made very welcome at the Water Palace.

“It is a lovely new pool and already we have eight new members all keen to learn scuba to the international standard we guarantee.”

There is a one-off £100 joining fee and a small monthly fee of £10 per month, which covers training, equipment and Scottish coastal dives, trips abroad cost extra.

The club has a new website, visit: www.c-divers.com.

The club’s membership age restrictions are over 16 and less than 80.

Ralph added: “If you fit the bill, we will teach you all you need to see the wonders of the sea, and with our new-found bell, we can certainly ring-in the new year bells!”
U-5075

Postby DavieTait » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Ok Time to set the BS filter to max with this one !!

By 1942 the likelihood of any U-boat wasting an expensive torpedo on a trawler was very slim. This boat is far more likely to have struck a mine ( to which untrained amateur eyes would look like the same damage a torpedo would cause ) or have been sunk by the Luftwaffe.

The "capture" of the skipper and mate again absolutely not a chance in 1942 , no U-boat would dare surface this close to the coast incase a coastal command patrol aircraft caught them on the surface. I have absolutely no records at all of any fishermen being taken prisoner from anywhere north of Hull or west of the central north sea for the entirety of WW2. I think the reporter is getting his "facts" from WW1 not WW2 !!!

They have refused to identify the trawler in question because they know that people like me with the reference books and contacts in the industry will prove them to be wrong !!!

This is a bit of a non-story i'm afraid just a bunch of people wanting to get free advertising for their diving club nothing more. There was an extensive mine-field barrier in the area the trawler went down during WW2 so that is the most likely cause of the vessel loss.
DavieTait

Postby raalst » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:09 pm

it might be a clueless rehash of this story just a few entries down
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php5?t=8448
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby DavieTait » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:16 pm

No Ronald those trawlers were sunk 20nm East from Whitby/Scarborough and the one in this "story" is 30nm East from Eyemouth so the 2 sites are about 100-120nm apart. I've been asking around with my contacts and it looks like this trawler might not even have sunk in wartime. If I can get a positive ID on the name I can trace the true facts behind this and I will let everyone know.
DavieTait

Return to Subs in the News