Banner Ad 1

Mine-clearing submarine unveiled (UK) Composite Carbon Fiber

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Mine-clearing submarine unveiled (UK) Composite Carbon Fiber

Postby U-5075 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:59 pm

Mine-clearing submarine unveiled (UK)
Last Modified: 26 Mar 2007
Source: PA News

A revolutionary unmanned submarine which can locate and destroy underwater mines is due to be unveiled.

The Talisman submarine, developed by BAE Systems, has been developed to take over the dangerous task of mine clearance, which currently puts the lives of navy divers at risk.

The Talisman M is fitted with thruster engines, allowing it to hover and turn 360 degrees so it can remain stable as it deploys its mine-clearance device.

The body of the submarine has been designed in conjunction with motor-racing manufacturer Lola Cars and is made of composite carbon fibre components, meaning it is strong but lightweight. .

Andy Tonge, Talisman project manager at BAE Systems' underwater systems division based in Waterlooville, Hants, said: "There is a huge legacy of marine mines from both the First and Second World Wars in shores all over the world.

"The Talisman M can, for the first time, locate, identify as dangerous and then neutralise mines in one single autonomous mission."

The Talisman, which is being unveiled at the Ocean Business 2007 show, has already undergone several series of trial runs at sea.
U-5075

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:52 pm

Interesting - an earlier press release called it a UAV designed to operate near shore...

'STEALTH SUB' PROPELLED BY SEAEYE

Propulsion of the revolutionary Talisman AUV (autonomous underwater vehicle) from BAE Systems comes from thrusters supplied by Seaeye Marine. Talisman is designed to carry out a wide range of underwater operations close to the shore without being detected.

Seaeye was picked for their expertise and pioneering work in using brushless DC motors for thruster systems in ROVs. Their task was to provide propulsion that would offer extremely delicate manoeuvrability in difficult conditions, including strong currents, and over an extended period of time: the Talisman can be deployed 50 miles offshore and remain in operation for 24 hours.

With BAE Systems wanting commercially available equipment, Seaeye proposed their world-proven SM5 thrusters, the same that propel their Panther Plus ROVs, and similar to that used in the Cougar ROV. The command protocol for the thrusters was made available to BAE for incorporation into the Talisman control system.

Precise handling in all directions comes from six thrusters, two at the front, and four at the back in two pairs. A Seaeye rotary actuator is used to vector each pair of thrusters and to operate the hydroplanes. This actuator was originally developed for pan and tilt applications and is widely used in a range of ROVs. It incorporates a brushless DC motor with an harmonic drive output stage that provides high torque with zero backlash, making it ideal for this particular application.

With reliability a vital element in the project, BAE opted for Seaeye's own metal shell connectors. These were developed by Seaeye when rubber moulded connectors had become a major reliability problem in their early ROVs and where a suitable off-the-shelf metal alternative could not be found.

Seaeye leads the market for electrically operated ROVs and already sells systems to the defence industry, and the oil and gas business where it has long experience of working in demanding conditions. "The Company is very pleased to be associated with such a prestigious AUV project", said Chris Tarmey, CEO of Seaeye Marine.

Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to Subs in the News