Banner Ad 1

22' SCALE MODEL PARADE FLOAT OF USS SEAWOLF (SSN-21)

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

22' SCALE MODEL PARADE FLOAT OF USS SEAWOLF (SSN-21)

Postby U-5075 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:43 am

Submarine float stops in Yuma today
Yumasun.com
FROM STAFF REPORTS
March 6, 2007 - 10:23PM

A parade float representing one of the world's most high-tech submarines will add Yuma to its ports of call today at downtown's Armed Forces Park in the 200 block of Gila Street.

The float, which is a 22-foot scale model of the USS Seawolf SSN-21, is being pulled into Yuma today by Carle Blackwell and other members of the Tucson-based United States Submarine Veterans Inc. (USSVI).

It will arrive at the park at noon and remain there for about an hour for a brief celebration.

Yuman Verne "Smitty" Smith, commander, and other members of the USSVI's Barbel Base chapter, will be present to meet the float.

"I'm looking forward to seeing it," Smith said.

Michael Bircumshaw, USSVI Western District 6 commander, and Bill Fernstrom, both of the USS Scamp Base of USSVI, will then take the float on the final leg of its cross-country journey.

The submarine float began its trip in La Porte, Texas, headed for the U.S. Naval Base at Port Loma in San Diego, a journey of roughly 1,600 miles.

Smith said the float will be used in parades in the Southern California, Arizona and Nevada areas to represent the USSVI and the Submarine Veterans of World War II.
U-5075

Are you in Yuma?

Postby Desert Boat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:55 pm

I know I'm nosey but since you're posting an article from Yuma's paper, does that mean you're from Yuma too? 8)
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby U-5075 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:53 pm

Sorry, I'm only from the Greater Boston Area.

With this screwy weather this winter I wish I lived in a sunnier warmer area. 9 to 15 degrees F this week with 50 to maybe 60's next week. It gives a new dimension to cabin fever.

I had lived in New London as a service brat and got bit by the sub bug down there. Now I do Google news searches, mostly. By default I'm the US guru on the German midget sub (Seehund) that used to be at the Nautilus Museum. I'm sort of a member of the 1 to 1 club, but mostly German midget U-boats and manned torpedoes.
U-5075

So Sorry ...

Postby Desert Boat » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:42 am

It was 88 today and has been in the 70s and 80s all week ... expecting 90s next week. Come on down and visit.
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby U-5075 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:46 pm

One of the more exciting things around our town and nearby was this fellow who claimed that he found a WWII U-boat that was sunk near the end of the war. It "could have been carrying" hitler's gold. And there had been lots of secret stuff involved in its sinking.

Additionally he was looking for investors to give him money. They would get all the valuable stuff on the sub and he would keep the story rights. But the story -- a bit farfetched and creative -- was the only thing of value.

And he got a Federal permit to search and dive on the U-boat. The excuse that he had was that this was a giant Typ XIB, that according to German naval history had never been made. But according to him it had been and it was on extended sea trials before becoming an official, commisssioned German ship of war. That way he was able to get a US Federal Court to give him the ok to dive on this wreck............. and hopefully, another permit later to plunder it.

Our friends and SC members in Germany went bananas over this.

Later, when I met this guy he told me that before it was sunk by the US Navy it was transmitting a coded message for about 20 minutes. And that he actually had the un decoded message. I had heard of this story earlier and someone had casually mentioned that he knew someone who could decode the message. When I met this fellow I then told him that it would be not problem to decode the message......... easy with it being part of a computer program. He kind of freaked out and said no, no we could never do that because it would cause international repercussions. I smelled a rat. A friend also smelled something strange and he found a civil case where this guy was sued by a bunch of investors for another salvage deal. Plus he had told a number of people that he was a US Navy Seal and also borrowed money and diving equipment from them and not returned either. BTW. he was only in the Navy 13 months and could never have been a Seal or even a beach chair master.

It has been about 10 years since he has done anything about the wreck site. And about 5 or more years ago he reportedly had a stroke and had blown a heart valve. He will never dive again.

We believe that we know the location of a real U-boat. But it is covered with a lot of sand. God, the US Navy, and some law enforcement and government types are protecting this spot. We also believe that it was sunk a full year before Michaud claims that it was. No gold. No Typ XIB. Rest in peace.

Here's his story -- many people worked to get this information.

Heroes or Villians II?
Michaud, Edward Richard aka Michaud, Edward aka Michaud, Edrward R. . Massachusetts,
Claiming SEALS and/or Frogman... Dob 1/57 Claims Navy Seal. ...
http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies1075.htm

Give it about 20 seconds to download and then move the icon down to Michaud. Click onto the highlighted areas.

More details of the fairy tales.
This bunch includes bogus diagrams and fotos.

http://www.combatsim.com/htm/feb99/typexi-2.htm
http://www.combatsim.com/htm/feb99/typexi-3.htm
http://www.combatsim.com/htm/feb99/typexi-4.htm
http://www.combatsim.com/htm/feb99/typexi-5.htm

I've met and talked with the fellow who did the side scan sonar work and by chance met talked with the guy who paid for the work. It was just "sand waves" on the bottom that he claims to be images of the U-boat.

Enden
U-5075

Return to Subs in the News