Banner Ad 1

Newest US sub commissioned

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby TMSmalley » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:48 pm

New sub's vital mission

Today, first lady Laura Bush is scheduled to commission the USS Texas, the U.S. Navy's newest submarine, at a ceremony at the Port of Galveston.

This traditional dedication ceremony will be a reminder of our need to be strong and vigilant in a dangerous world, as we will also mark next week the fifth anniversary of the tragic terrorist attacks of 9/11.

We all have memories of where we were and what we were doing when we learned of the attacks in New York, at the Pentagon and on Flight 93 over Pennsylvania.

The memory that will always stay with me is when President Bush visited the Pentagon the day after 9/11 to meet with the secretary of defense, the service secretaries and the joint chiefs.

Bush arrived at a still-burning Pentagon at 6 p.m., and, at that time, we had no idea how many people had been killed or wounded or if further attacks were imminent. The U.S. military was on alert.

The president's demeanor as he walked into the Pentagon meeting room was stern and resolute.

He told us to "get ready" and emphasized that this war would be long and a trying test of our national will.

The president faced us, looking in our eyes, and told us to never forget.

He said, " ... I will never forget the events that happened yesterday. The nation will go on because the nation has to go on; people will need to get on with their lives. But I will never forget, and you can never forget, because we are charged with the safety and security of the United States and for liberty and freedom around the world."

The USS Texas and its dedicated crew will go in harm's way in defense of our nation and its people, and carry the hope of freedom to the far corners of the Earth.

Like our president, the crew of the USS Texas will never forget 9/11 or the crew's vital mission of protecting and defending freedom and liberty and our American way of life with honor and pride.

Our future and the futures of our children and grandchildren depend on it.

GORDON ENGLAND deputy secretary of defense, Washington, D.C.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:40 pm

WHOOP!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:27 pm

Well the Texas is already back in port for repairs. Apparently they were having some issues that were unable to be resolved at. Ive been thinking about going for a tour on it. Anyone ben able to tour the new Virginia class boats?
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Pirate » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:04 pm

Nuke,
Tell me how in the world you can get on that boat to get a tour. Since 9/11 I didn't think one could get a tour. I'd die to get a tour on that boat as I've built that Virginia model kit from scratch.

How? How? Tell me how?

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:25 am

Well i toured the USS Texas about an hour ago. This thing is something out of a science fiction novel! Control looks like a gigantic video arcade and the torpedo room was quit impressive. I have never actually seen what a torpedo fired tomahawk looks like. Couldnt get in the engine room though. The duty officer was being a stiff neck so maybe i will try again. I can tell you its a small boat though. Not much room in the overhead. As for the outer hull. Very nice and sleek. It had a great new coat of non skid and you could tell it was a new com. Turns out the entile outter hull is coatted with a rubber insulator, unlike our british friends who use thousands of little tiles that fly off (float off) as the patrol. I cant tell you what its made of or how thick it is but its impressive. I actually didnt even notice untill i was next to the sail and noticed some paint missing. I went to tap on the hy-100 and noticed it to be unussually soft. Picked up some great detail notes though. Im actually gonna go to the hobby store and see if i cant get myself a model now.

Pirate, I got on the boat because I'm in the NAVY. All i had to do was walk over to their piere and ask for one. Sorry buddy. I can arrange types of tours which take about a week to arrange aswell as a back ground check on all personel. Ive offered this to subronseedpsouth but had no response?
AS for your scratch built how can i get one of those How? How? Tell me how? :)
Kevin
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Pirate » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:13 am

Kevin,

Details on my two kits at geocities.com/submarineworks

I've got a Seawolf and Virginia that I've made molds of everything and can produce copies. Although, right now, production is down until the first of the year. This was only done initially to recoup costs for my own boat, but they became very popular since showing them at the 2005 Subregatta. Now I must catch up on much needed housework before making any more kits.

But it may be a good idea to wait on the Virginia Class kit anyway, as I recently received some new reference which may result in some retooling to incorporate the changes. I've never been on the boat, but the new reference is first generation, real boat builder accurate, so the things you notice out of place slightly in the pictures on my site will be corrected.

As for tours, let me know what I need to do and maybe we can work something out to get me on. I'm not in the service, but if you could get the guys from SubronDeepsouth onboard, maybe you can get me on. The problem will be getting to where the boat is on short notice. But occationally my full-time job takes me around the country to someplace that might be close. I was in Providence about three months ago and went to Groton. I could see Texas's sail at the sub base from the deck of the Nautilus, but nothing else.

Check out my home page here on Subcommittee.com and you can get my email. And let me know what you do in the Navy.

Pete Piekarski
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Novagator » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:46 am

:cool:
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Return to Subs in the News