Banner Ad 1

Russian nuclear sub fire 'kills 2'

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:05 am

Russian nuclear sub fire 'kills 2'

MOSCOW, Russia (Reuters) -- A fire broke out aboard a Russian nuclear submarine belonging to the Northern Fleet late on Wednesday, killing two of its crew, Interfax news agency quoted Navy sources as saying on Thursday.

Interfax said the submarine was anchored north off the Rybachiy peninsula near the Finnish border when it caught fire. The agency said there was no threat of a radiation leak.

The submarine was now being towed to the port of Vedyayevo, a base for Russian submarines in the Barents Sea, Interfax said.

"The fire was extinguished at midnight. It broke out in the electromechanical compartment. The device protecting the nuclear reactor was enacted. There is no radioactive contamination threat whatsoever," the agency quoted a Navy source as saying.

Russian military officials could not immediately be reached for comment on the report.

Russia's Northern Fleet has been dogged by fatal accidents. The worst in recent years was when the Kursk submarine sank in the Barents Sea six years ago, killing all 118 people on board.

Last year, the British navy helped rescue the crew of a Russian navy mini-submarine that was stranded 600 feet down in the Pacific with dwindling air supplies.

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:40 pm

Seems like it was an Oscar II
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby KevinMc » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:53 pm

Hey Pablo!

Where'd you get that it was an OSCAR? I've been trying to find out what kind it was, but all the reports I've seen so far are deliberately vague...
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby DavieTait » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:29 am

The BBC has name the sub as the Daniil Moskovsky BBC news report , been identifed on another site as a Victor III class SSN , news report identifying class , CBC news report

Thats all the info i've been able to gather online so far.

Davie

Edited By DavieTait on 1158006661
DavieTait

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:24 am

Sorry, I was speculating since I read a pieace of news from AP stating it carried "Granat" misiles. :(

It was actually a 671 RTM Victor-III class submarine K-414, “Svyatoi Daniil Moskovsky” .

My fault!
Pablo
Gerwalk

Return to Subs in the News