Banner Ad 1

My visit to the U505

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby BGThomas » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:51 pm

Also known as what I did on my winter vacation...

My lovely bride bought me a trip to Chicago's Science and Industry museum. I've posted my pictures here: My winter vacation.

I am a submarine vet. I did manage a few days aboard USS Barbel, but didn't serve aboard the pig boats.

The display was AWESOME! They didn't just dump the boat in the basement and sell tickets. This display was very well produced and they did their best to communicate what it was like to be aboard for the 90 day war patrol. I suggested they collect the sweatsocks from all professional athletes for a month, age that pile for a year, then put them in the bilges. Add sea water, diesel fuel, a bit of raw sewage, and some rotting food scraps. That might come close to duplicating the smell to go with the sound effects.

The Enigma machine looked remarkably like another device of my acquaintance. I was a Radioman. I now add this to the dozens of other "common" designs between this captured technology and that I saw at sea when I served.

This display is THUMBS UP!
Bruce
formerly RM1(SS)
BGThomas
SubCommittee Member

Postby Desert Boat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:44 am

Very good Bruce! Sometimes our wives really come through for us. One year my wife took me up to Oakland, Ca., to take a day cruise on President Roosevelt's Potomac (did I spell that right?).
Ray Agee :D
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby wingtip » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:30 am

awesome...

last time i was at the museum as a teenager i remember a sub being outdoors and painted black... looks like i need another trip there......
"Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your ductape!"

Dave "wingtip" Townsend
SubCommittee #2777
Martinsville Indiana
davet@insightbb.com
wingtip

Return to Subs in the News