Banner Ad 1

Breaking News: Canadian sub in distress

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby David H » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:10 am

John,

You may be able to shed some light on this.

Whilst researching my gotland Class I came across the prefixes of Swedish Subs The Gotland is called the "A19 Gotland" Naken is the A14 if i remember correctly and so forth. It seems that Gotland is the closest looking relative to the collins, so my question is this,

why do they keep saying that the Collins is based on the "Type 471" ? I've never seen this prefix written in any swedish websites. Surely it's based on the type A19?

regards

david H :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby Slats » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:28 pm

The answer is that the Collins is not a modified Gotland at all despite some similar appearances / dimensions / machinery etc.
The 471 refers to the Kockums 471 design, which was the approved original design for the Collins.
I actually got quizzed on this very subject at my selection board interview way back in 1988!
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby Dolphin » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:47 pm

The Collins design is huge in relation to the Gotland, (almost 50% larger in volume) even if the designs are very similar. The Gotlands use a AIP (Air Independent Propulsion) while the Collins do not. AIP was considered for the Collins boats as a future upgrade, but the battery capacity of the Collins boats was already enormous, so much so AIP was not competitive or cost efficient to upgrade in this particular case. The two digit numbers refer to Kockums domestic (Swedish Navy) designs, the three digit numbers signify an export design, IE. Australia.

http://www.kockums.se/

One significant difference between the Swedish designs and the Collins (and the Singapore Navy's Challenger class subs too - former Swedish Navy Sjoorman boats) is in the environmental cooling systems. The boats expected to operate in the tropics like the Collins and the refitted Challenger boats use more conventional air conditioning systems, while the Swedish boats in the more cold latitudes use confortably a cooling system based on sea water condensers. The main change in the refit of the Singapore Navy's Challenger subs was converting at Kockums to the system more suited to the warmer tropics. Sure there were other upgrades too. The Singapore Navy got a great deal! The Challenger class is perfect for the shallow water approaches around Singapore. Small, very manuverable and deadly, these boats were built in Sweden in the 1960's, but even now they are still ahead of there time.

Steve Reichmuth

Edited By Dolphin on 1098241434
Dolphin

Postby David H » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:26 am

Steve ,

you're a veritable tweasure twove of knowledge!

The Sjoormen are a wacky looking sub aren't they. That sail looks like it was designed by a drunk person. Very cool though. i like them.

I'm just completing the mechanical mixer for my gotland. Looking good at the moment.

regards,

David Hughes. :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby Dolphin » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:56 am

Tom Anderson has built several Sjoormans.

Steve
Dolphin

Postby bcliffe » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:44 am

Official DND web site tracking the investigation into the fire on HMCS Chicoutimi.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Focus/chicoutimi/index_e.asp

Some interesting pictures in the CombatCamera section.

Cheers
BC
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Postby bcliffe » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:05 pm

The latest subsafe advisory put out by the Navy may be an indication to the cause of this tragedy. Looks like the boats will be updated before being declared sea worthy.

http://www.navy.forces.ca/mspa_news/news_e.asp?id=82

Cheers
BC
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Previous

Return to Subs in the News