Banner Ad 1

Hot to go!

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby Dolphin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:29 am

040814-N-5781F-033 Pacific Ocean (Aug. 14, 2004) - Storekeeper 2nd Class Daniel Mina of Detroit, Mich., delivers pizzas to eagerly awaiting Sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63). The pizzas were flown in from Kadena Air Force base (Okinawa) by Fleet Logistic Support Squadron Three Zero (VRC-30), during its daily delivery of mail, parts and personnel. Kitty Hawk is currently underway in the 7th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR), demonstrating power projection and sea control as the world's only permanently forward-deployed aircraft carrier, operating from Yokosuka, Japan. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Airman Bo J. Flannigan (RELEASED)

Note : Hi Res image reveals top box marked 'pep' pepperoni, second from top marked 'com', combination. Two bottom boxes 'Cheese'. Skip the little fishies please! 'Intel' is Important.

Steve Reichmuth

Edited By Dolphin on 1093063318
Dolphin

Postby FX Models » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:47 pm

Steve,

Did you also notice that at least ONE crewman does not want Pizza? It might even have been the pilot himself. How can you tell? Ah haaaa as you said, intel is so important! :D

Note in his LEFT hand is a bag... The bag is a BURGER KING bag which is most likely not trash as he would have left that in the aircraft possibly and the bag is rounded out even under compression in his hand, so in all likelihood is still filled with food! So someone wants JUNK FOOD!

intel intel.... gotta love it...

Marc
:laugh:
FX Models

Postby Dolphin » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:29 pm

Cool! I looked at the bag, but obviously not close enough! Shame on me! I am sure it is no reflection on the chow aboard the ship, but likely just a fun way to remind one of 'home'. When carriers home ported in Alameda NAS just across the bay from San Francisco, the Carl Vinson and the Abraham Lincoln were the last amoung a long pretegious list of names to be home ported there. Coral Sea, Hancock, Oriskany, Ranger, Enterprise..... visiting the Abraham Lincoln, I loved talking to the sailors....pitching the same questions, but different answers...where you from originally? Whats the food aboard like? Many said the food was great...but some, perhaps the home sick ones would mention the food reminded them of 'High school food'.

I miss the carriers at Alameda. We at least have the 'Essex class' USS Hornet (ex. CV 12). I enjoy watching the film 'Thirty Seconds over Tokyo' for the part were they fly to Alameda to embark on Hornet (CV-8) and the back ground scenes of the east bay. In one scene faintly you can see the familiar Berkeley Hills and the UC campus tower (in the DVD version...lol). Flying under the bay bridge etc.. I remember as a kid visiting the Coral Sea very often (she was a long time Alameda regular). I could relate in the above mentioned film the scene were the Army flyers are walking around the carrier....getting lost in all the labyrinth of passage ways..."are you lost too?" Crossing paths with his buddy again they reluctantly admit "I feel trapped like a rat....I've been walk'n for miles!" So Darn True!!! LOL.

Steve Reichmuth

Edited By Dolphin on 1093204094
Dolphin

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:15 pm

...given the forum that this was posted in, it seems like this would have been even more interresting if the delivery was for........

...........subs! :D

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby chips » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:10 pm

Reminds me when I was assigned to USCGC CONFIDENCE (WMEC 619) in Kodiak, AK. That class of cutters has a flight deck, but no hangar. We would do 30 day fishery patrols along the Aleutian Islands. Kodiak is also home to a large CG air station. We could land the smaller helicopters, HH-52; but not the larger HH-3. We would practice Hifer (helo in flight refuel) with the HH-3. We would leave for patrol in the early afternoon, and conduct helo operations until the evening meal. After dinner, we would do more helo ops, usually until 2200 (10 PM). I was in charge of the fire and rescue team. Our standard "joke" for the new guys was that the HH-3 would pay for their gas with pizza - freshly flown out from the Captain's Keg Restaurant. We even got our cooks involved - midrats for that first nite was always pizza. :D
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:44 pm

Cool stories. And Jeff.....I tried to look for a Pizza delivery to a sub story ....no such luck. Pizza tastes better underwater anyways.... I will be in Alaska on vacation (cruise)......which means I cannot attend the SF regatta...sowry! Besides everybody thinks I have nothing to run anyways...he...he.

Steve

Edited By Dolphin on 1093837695
Dolphin

Return to Subs in the News