Banner Ad 1

Fun for Soviet Sub Spotters

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby Jim Kerswell » Wed May 19, 2004 3:15 pm

Hey kids! Take a look at the photograph at this Website:

http://www.imagesatintl.com/orderim....hr..jpg

How many subs can you spot? You might want to rotate the photo 180 degrees so that the illumination appears to come from the bottom, as it would at this far-Northern sub base. You can play Navy photoanalyst. How many Oscars are there? How many ballistic-missile submarines? How many Victor II/III's? The nice folks at the NRO took this photo in late Winter or early Spring and during the mid morning when long shadows would fall on the ice next to the submarines.
Have fun. :laugh:

JK
Jim Kerswell
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed May 19, 2004 4:32 pm

With what appears to be 2 locations that had subs in them until recently.

:D

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jim Kerswell » Wed May 19, 2004 4:51 pm

26 is the number I found, too. I haven't tried to break out the types. It might be a little hard to distinguish the later Victors from any Akula that might have been there at the time this picture was taken (which is unknown). However, you can see the shadows of several towed-array pods on the ice. The SSBN's are distinguishable by the humped-up shadows of the superstructure covering the launch tubes. I would guess that the three submarines at the Western end of the facility are Oscars, comparing their lengths and beams to the Delta classes at the center.

JK
Jim Kerswell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Thu May 20, 2004 12:11 am

Thats a relief! I thought it was SubCom East! :D

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Return to Subs in the News