Banner Ad 1

USS Greenville

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby Jim Kerswell » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:08 am

A couple of years ago the USS Greenville suffered a tragic accident and an unfortunate grounding. It is nice to see a report showing that the boat's reputation has been turned around. See the following story here:

http://www.greene.xtn.net/index.p....=110211

There is a local bias, as the story originates from a newspaper in the city for which is submarine is named. Nevertheless the facts are a positive indication of the success in integrating the Advanced Seal Delivery System into the inventory.

Those of you tracking the change of mast colors in the fleet will find the accompanying photo of the Greenville's sail interesting. Can anyone tell me if the white, cylindrical object mounted on the mast immediately aft the bridge on the port side is a radar that is taken inside when the sub submerges?

JK
Jim Kerswell

Postby mike byers » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:14 pm

Yes Jim,

That radar is stowed in the people tank, not the sail. I beleve that it used only in the channel/harbour while under direction of the Pilot.

Maybe there is a QM on the board who can check me on this.

Mike Byers
De Profundus

Mike Byers
SC# 2486
mike byers
SubCommittee Member

Postby cob » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:58 am

[Those of you tracking the change of mast colors in the fleet will find the accompanying photo of the Greenville's sail interesting. Can anyone tell me if the white, cylindrical object mounted on the mast immediately aft the bridge on the port side is a radar that is taken inside when the sub submerges?
]

Hi, Yes it is a portable commercial radar made by Furuno.

Rob Jones
cob

Return to Subs in the News