Banner Ad 1

INS RAHAV New Israeli submarine

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

INS RAHAV New Israeli submarine

Postby gp100man » Wed May 01, 2013 1:54 am

gp100man
SubCommittee Member

Re: INS RAHAV New Israeli submarine

Postby secrtwpn » Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm

It appears the Dolphins have several different colors, such as blue and green. Anyone have any idea what the colors are?????????
Farlan Clutters
secrtwpn
SubCommittee Member

Re: INS RAHAV New Israeli submarine

Postby gp100man » Sat May 18, 2013 6:23 am

Dear Mr; secrtwpn/Farlan Clutters
From gp100man/rugp100man;
Trying to do some research I came up with the following.
In 1959 two S-class submarines were purchased from Britan and converted into ISRAELI
INS Tanin 1959
INS Rahav 1959
from all of the photos I see from the late 1950-early 1960s, these two submarine were painted an ALL BLACK color.
Moving on to the next class of submarine, in 1966 ISRAEL again turned to Britan, and purchased three former T-class british submarine and converted them into:
INS Laviathan 1967
INS Dakar(Lost at sea with all hands) 1967
INS Dolphin 1967
from all the photos that I can find, it appears these T-class ISRAELI submarines were painted an ALL BLACK color.
Moving on to the next class of ISRAELI submarines. In 1976 the ISRAELIS turned to Britan again, but the design for the new GAL class submarine was converted from Germany's
type 206A, but was built by Britan at the Vickers shipyard at Barrow in Furness,UK.
These newer GAL class submarines were as follows:
INS GAL 1976
INS Tanin 1976
INS Rahav 1976
as far as I can tell from all of the photos I could find, and based on the INS GAL which is a museum boat in Haifa,ISRAEL right now, they had a newer MEDITERRANEN GREEN paint job.
In 1999 ISRAELI went on the hunt again to replace their three aging GAL class of submarines, once again they worked with Germany to modify the type 209 and later the types 212/214/216(the last two and next three, to produce the: Current Dolphin Class Submarine.
INS Dolphin 1999
INS Leviathan 2000
INS Tekumah 2000
INS Tanin 2012/13
INS Rahav 2013/14
INS ?????? 2014/15 I have the new name around here some wheres in my papers but can't lay my hands on it at this monment.
INS ?????? 2016/17 I have the new name that ISRAEL selected, but can't lay my hands on it at this time, when i find it, I'll edit this message.
As far as I can tell these last two Dolphin Class submarines have a BLACK HULL, DARK BLUE SAIL, LEOPARD FROG GREEN MASTS.
Now whether the first three Dolphins have been repainted to match these last two, I don't know, maybe someone from Haifa, or Eilat, ISRAEL can let us know.
As best as I can tell, I think that they have dropped the Mediterranean Green altogether, and have all of the Dolphins the same, black hull, dark blue sail, and leopard frog green masts.

So, to recap the first 6 ISRAELI submarines were ALL BLACK IN COLOR
the next 6 were ALL MEDITERRANEAN GREEN
the last two have been painted HULL IS BLACK--SAIL IS DARK BLUE--PERISCOPE SHEARS ARE A LEOPARD FROG GREEN.
I hope this helped and didn't bore you to tears, I can get abit long winded at times.------------------------gp100man/rugp100man.
gp100man
SubCommittee Member

Return to Subs in the News