Banner Ad 1

Ping!

Local Chapter covering the geography of British Columbia and the state of Washington. The "IP" refers to the "Inside Passage"...the large body of inland water that runs up the coast.

Ping!

Postby andy_geek » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:55 pm

I'm pinging to see if anyone is around these parts. It appears there's no activity in this region for the last year so is it lack of interest, nothing important to talk about? :)

Hi, i'm Andy and i joined subcommitee yesterday. I live in Sammamish, WA. I spent 10 years in the USNavy and about 8 of that was on two boats, the USS Sculpin (Skipjack class) and USS San Francisco (Los Angeles class). I left the submarine force in 1994. I've had an interest in the RC submarines for years but only just decided that it was time to step up and go all in on this hobby. So i'm a total newb, i'm reading up on what the community thinks are good intro subs where i can get my hands dirty assembling one on my own.

If there's anyone around, please feel free to give me your guidance to get started.

Andy
Do or do not. There is not try.- Yoda

andy_geek
SubCommittee Member

Re: Ping!

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:15 am

Ahoy, Andy!

A very hearty welcome aboard! And thanks for becoming a member! Thanks for your service also; always great to bring in a new guy who's actually walked the walk rather than only talked the talk (orators like me and so many of the rest of us). Expect to be grilled for experiences and sea stories!

Perhaps the most widely known benefit of having paid your SC dues is receipt of our quarterly SubCommittee Report. The latest issue is just days—perhaps only hours—away. Watch for that and dig in when available. In fact, there's a semi-regular "Scuttlebutt" column in the SCR you might consider contributing to: we'd love to hear from you. (See above.)

Not sure of events in your area—the locals can chime in here—but if you can make the drive south to SanFran, the SC's biggest annual West Coast event takes place on October 26 and 27 at Golden Gate Park's renowned casting ponds. You can see and learn a lot there. Info. on that can be found in the SCR and in the SubComMI section of the chapters area of these forums.

As for a starter boat, everyone will freely offer their opinions, and there's any number of directions you can go. I myself am partial to Dave Manley's "Small World Models" USS Blueback (SS-581), but since these haven't been manufactured for years they're now hard to come by—though online searches for used ones needing only a refit can sometimes be fruitful. Check also for the Albacore or the Dumas Akula. Moebius has recently come out with a wonderful styrene (static) 1/72-scale kit of the Skipjack which is ripe for conversion to R/C if you want to dive right in. I believe several are in progress around our group so help and inspiration (and even pre-built internals) are available if you're so inclined.

Again, hope to see you around!

Green Board,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby andy_geek » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks for the welcome and the pointers, Jeff. I just discovered the back issues of SCR, wow what a goldmine! :)

andy_geek
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Andy,

Welcome aboard! There are quite a few of us up here in the great NW. British Columbia, Washington, idaho, and Montana. Maybe we should start to organize for a yearly fun run!

Best,

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby ccontrol » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Andy,

Small world as I am in Sammamish too and I just got back into the hobby myself. I used to run tugs and subs at Pine Lake Park and at Laughing Jacobs Lake in Klahanie.

This is a link to a recent thread I started looking for some guidance finding components and there were several great responses:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11640

I am starting work on a 1/48 scale fleet snorkel version of a WWII Balao fleet boat and a modern German Type 212 U-Boat also in 1/48.

I would love to get some interest in subs going again in the Northwest. There is a large RC model boat club here in Seattle that meets monthly at Galaxy Hobbies in Lynnwood and usually does fun-floats at the Bellevue Downtown Park pond. In fact, there is a rare night tun scheduled for this coming Thursday evening at 7:00 in Bellevue. While the club is oriented around RC tugs and scale surface vessels, there are more than a few sub-geeks lurking. The club has been around for 32 years and I was the president for few years back in the 90s. The current club president was also the clubs co-founder back in 1981 and he is also getting back into building RC Subs. I think the club is still one of the largest on the west coast, must have something to so with our long "building season", i.e. rain.

Club link:
http://www.shipmodelers.com/

Holler if you want to get together and chat.

Steve O'Connell
ccontrol
SubCommittee Member

Postby andy_geek » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi Steve and Matt, this is great to hear that there's interest in our region. I'm excited to get involved, my next step is getting a hold of a kit.... so my search begins :)

andy_geek
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jacobsenra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:23 am

All,

Currently I am getting back into subs after a long absence. I am president of the NW R/C Ship Modelers and hope we can get some sub action going in the NW again. In the past I built a very nice 1/48 Balao from a SSY hull, a 32d Parallel Type XXIII and an old Engle Polaris (that was a long time ago). I also wrote several articles for the old Scale Ship Modeler magazine and did a lot of the old submarine special edition they did maybe 20 years ago - man I am getting old. Further dating myself I built a sub the old TV show MacGyver. Right now I have a Thunder Tiger Sub and am building up a 1/32 Type XXIII from the amazing Bronco plastic model. I also have another 1/48 Balao SSY hull, a 32nd Parallel Type VII kit complete with torpedoes, and am a Robbe Type XXI in 1/40 scale. I hope to have the Type XXIII done in a few months and the Type XXI later this winter. I live right on Lake Goodwin and have an excellent place to run right at home. In any case I have known Steve for many years and hope to meet all of you soon. The NW R/C Ship modelers has a meeting this Thursday evening (the 5th) at 7:00pm at Galaxy Hobby in Lynnwood if anyone is interested. I will have my Thunder Tiger Sub, my Robbe Sub ad the Bronco Type XXIII as show and tells.

Bob Jacobsen
Stanwood, WA
Jacobsenra
SubCommittee Member

Postby ccontrol » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:55 am

Jacobsenra wrote:All,

Currently I am getting back into subs after a long absence. I am president of the NW R/C Ship Modelers and hope we can get some sub action going in the NW again. In the past I built a very nice 1/48 Balao from a SSY hull, a 32d Parallel Type XXIII and an old Engle Polaris (that was a long time ago). I also wrote several articles for the old Scale Ship Modeler magazine and did a lot of the old submarine special edition they did maybe 20 years ago - man I am getting old. Further dating myself I built a sub the old TV show MacGyver. Right now I have a Thunder Tiger Sub and am building up a 1/32 Type XXIII from the amazing Bronco plastic model. I also have another 1/48 Balao SSY hull, a 32nd Parallel Type VII kit complete with torpedoes, and am a Robbe Type XXI in 1/40 scale. I hope to have the Type XXIII done in a few months and the Type XXI later this winter. I live right on Lake Goodwin and have an excellent place to run right at home. In any case I have known Steve for many years and hope to meet all of you soon. The NW R/C Ship modelers has a meeting this Thursday evening (the 5th) at 7:00pm at Galaxy Hobby in Lynnwood if anyone is interested. I will have my Thunder Tiger Sub, my Robbe Sub ad the Bronco Type XXIII as show and tells.

Bob Jacobsen
Stanwood, WA

Hey Bob, I thought the Thursday meeting was at the pond in Bellevue(?)
Steve
ccontrol
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jacobsenra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Meeting moved back to Galaxy Hobby because I thought holding a box full of electronics with lightning rod attached (antenna) sounded a bit dicey during the projected thunderstorms :-)
Jacobsenra
SubCommittee Member

Postby ccontrol » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Jacobsenra wrote:Meeting moved back to Galaxy Hobby because I thought holding a box full of electronics with lightning rod attached (antenna) sounded a bit dicey during the projected thunderstorms :-)

Good thinking Mr. President!
See you at Galaxy Hobby instead.
ccontrol
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubComIP