Banner Ad 1

FINAL SUBREGATTA POSTING before the show

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:44 am

Woo Hoo! The SubRegatta is only a few days away!

A couple of new items ~
According to the weather prognosticators - it is going to be HOT – low to mid-90s- so bring sunscreen (SPF 1,000,000!) and have plenty of water to drink.

We will try to have tents set up around the pond for sun shields and rain refuge as they are predicting about a 30% chance of rain both days. While that percentage is the norm almost every day for cornbelt states in the summertime, you might want to bring rain gear and a plastic bag to throw over your transmitter, just in case.

If you forget anything, there is a Wal-Mart (aka Wally World) and several other mass marketers just up the main drag from us, so you can pick up AA batts, cheapie rain ponchos. Wally World has styrofoam coolers and ice for water and sodas (no beer or booze allowed on City Park grounds), sun screen etc. There is a hobby shop in Indianapolis, but it is a bit of a drive, so try not to forget or break anything).

Media ~
I believe the Indy Admirals visited TV studio earlier this week to promote the event on a morning news show, and we have confirmation that one of the stations will be there on Sunday. No word on Friday morning or Saturday for TV. Since all three network stations lent us such heavy coverage last year- I suspect we are sort of “old news” this time around. ;-) I am told that a local “Things to do” magazine has some coverage of us too – at the top of the list for July.

***VIP***
PLEASE ~ No charged Propel tanks in the main tents.
We need to have all Propel charging done in the tent provided for that purpose. I got word that a sub “popped” last year at a fun run (luckily it was in the water at the time but it was a total wipe out for subs innards). We DO NOT want that happening at the SubRegatta on a crowded sidewalk or in the main tents. USE THE PROPEL TENT FOR CHARGING and then vent off all your Propel before returning to your table in the main tent. And only captains who are charging tanks should be in the Propel tent.

SUB INFO SHEETS ~
I encourage you to fill out a sub info sheet for each of your boats (posted on the SubCommittee website message board under “Events and Regattas/SubRegatta attendees, please fill this out.” This really helps visitors and bubbleheads alike know what your boat is all about! If you want to make up your own info sheet, that’s fine too.

RAFFLE ~
We have a ton of great prizes again this year for the raffle donated by vendors and SubCommittee emembers. Hull kits, WTCs, radio outfits, electronics, toys subs for kids, etc, etc, so bring plenty of money to buy tickets. Remember – you must be present to win!

KIDS PRIZE DRAWING ~ FREE!
We will be having a free kids prize drawing this year. Each child (12 and under) accompanied by a registered adult SubRegatta attendee will receive a free card to enter the kid’s raffle. We have some kids submarines, and other cool toys as prizes. (Bring batteries ;-)

For little captains who don’t win a sub, the Indy Admirals are going to have an area set up for kids to run toy subs, away from the big guys, with several “loaner” subs for kids to play with.

I CAN HEAR YOU NOW ~
If you have an emergency – my cell number is 651-253-1032. I will have it switched on starting Thursday morning. I pay roaming when I am out of my home area, so please be gentle with the calls ;-)

THE POND ~ I can see clearly now!
Last year, the City Parks Department dumped some green dye in the pond the day before the show which messed up our visibility. It started to clear by Sunday, but it wasn’t what it should have been and what we SubRon6 guys were use to running in – basically gin clear water. Chris Campbell had a talk with the City folks the other day and they assured him that it wouldn’t happen this year. Chris just looked at the pond yesterday and reports it is nice and clear and you can see the bottom - no problem. Bring your underwater still cameras and video gear!

CHARGING TABLE ~
We will once again have a table set up under one of the light poles to plug in your chargers.

We are having the usual competitions this year – navigation, engineering, photography, etc. and a new one- “The Great Sub Race!” For the race, there are small, medium, large and “Unlimited” classes. (Unlimited class is for the supercharged racers, like Delphins and Dave Welches Sushi sub.

It only costs $3 to enter the competition. Everyone who enters competitions gets one free brass SubRegatta 2006 torpedo “dash plaque” that Jim Butt is having done up for us once again. They look great applied to your boat stands. You may purchase additional plaques for $3. Jim also has plaques from previous years if you need some to fill out your collection. John Schagane, along with Jeff LaRue have come up with a brand new design of award plaques this year for the competitons. They are super professional looking and anyone would be proud to display one their living room or submarine shop.

PHOTO CONTEST ~
Along with our usual competitions (navigation, engineering, etc.) we are having the photo contest again this year. Color or B&W, any size - 4 x 6 or larger. No frames, but matting is ok if you wish. Anything submarine related, model or prototype is in the running.

OTHER COMPETITIONS ~
R/C Engineering & Craftsmanship - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
R/C Navigation: Open Class - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
R/C Navigation - Bottom Gun class - 1st place only
Photography - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
Static Modeling - built from kit - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
Static Modeling - scratchbuilt - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
The Great Sub Race!

BRING ‘EM ALL! ~
I do hope you are getting your subs all ready to go! Be sure to bring every boat in your fleet - working or not. Visitors like to see lots of subs - working, undergoing refit or under construction! They DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT!

IF YOU HAVE NOT REGISTERED YET, YOU CAN DO IT AT THE EVENT ~ and pick up your name badge. The name badge will enable other guys you have probably already talked to on the message boards to recognize who you are! Even if you aren't bringing a sub, please register – your adult guests too.

FRIDAY MEET AND GREET ~
Don't forget the 7 PM Friday Night Meet and Greet at the Hilton Garden Inn (official hotel). Metal artisan (and SC member) Steve Jensen is sponsoring the goodies on Friday night. Pizza (lots of it), sodas, treats, sub videos and getting re-aquainted with old sub friends and meeting new ones! Erich “von” Kloss was kind enough to sponsor a submarine cake for to satisfy your sweet tooth!

SATURDAY SubSeminar ~
We have a great slate of speakers this year for the Satuday Night SubSeminar in the Hilton Garden Inn (our official hotel). Dr. Art Broder talks about his RCABS ballast systems, Pete Piekarki - Submarine Works, will talk about scratch building sub hulls, Jeff laRue will tell us how he does his stainless steel sub decks, and Dave Merriman is discussing painting and weathering. Dont miss this event!!!

SWAP TABLE ~ "One man's junk is another man's treasure department."
If you have kits, completed subs, rc gear, or other hobby-related stuff you want to sell, bring it along. I think last year, just about every item on the table was sold by Sunday afternoon. You simply put your item on the table with a price and your name – Of course, it is YOUR responsibility to keep an eye on it, handle the finances etc...

I have probably forgotten a few things – but I think this covers most of it. I will be checking email until 5 AM Thursday morning if you have a burning question that MUST be answered before you leave.

See you in a couple of days!!!

Best,
Tim Smalley
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:09 pm

Hey that cool weather. Low to mid 90's is perfect. Cool weather compared to the 119 temps we have here.

I so much wanted to be there this year but my current economy me won't allow for it. But my subs will be there and so will I in spirit. Have the best time ever and take lots of pictures and video. Especially of BD's Type 17! ;)

Steve
U812

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:39 am

Weather report is now for sunny both days!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas