Banner Ad 1

Victoria Model Ship Society pond 50th Anni.

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby elec_tech » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:54 pm

Nemo tipped me off to a fun event a few days ago that took place this weekend and I took the opportunity to go over to the island to have a look and to show off my current build.

The Victoria Model Shipbuilding Society takes care of a small model boat pond right on the southern tip of Victoria, British Columbia. It's a 90' wide by 120' long pool thqat ranges from 22-26" in depth (I think...long day & short memory). This weekend they celebrated 50 years of operation in that pool and had several different styles of boats come out. They had everything! yachts, sailboats, tug boats, barges, fireboats, coast guard vessles, a few warships I think and yes, a few submarines!

I took a bunch of photos of the tugs and other ships that were there so I could remember the day. I won't post all of them but if you want to see them I can email them to you.

Romaine Klassen (hope I spelled it right), a Subcommittee member was there with his Molch, called bratworst, and his LA class USS Miami. Scott Ringrose, a former Subcommitte member (again, hope I got that right) was also there with his Semi-scale Skipjack. I think there was another sub there, a Victoria if I recall correctly, but I didn't meet the owner or see it run.

Romaine is a great older gentleman to talk to and learn from and he let me not only take a peak at the guts of his subs, he also let me run his Molch for the better part of a half hour. I say it was a great deal of fun and I learned a lot from both him and Scott. I laid my build right next to theirs for display when they weren't running and played salesman for the hobby, Subcommittee & Subpirates as people came around and asked all the familiar questions I remember asking and now have some answers too.

Overall I would have to say that I had a great time at the event and I look forward to others like it. More importantly though... I NEED TO GET A SUB IN THE WATER!!! Running Romaines for that small while was a great pleasure and built up more desire to get finished ASAP!

Here are some pics of the event....

elec_tech

Postby elec_tech » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:54 pm

This is Romaine Klassen taking out his Miami from a run.

Dan
elec_tech

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas