Banner Ad 1

AMA Grand Event 2005 - Call for participants

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby PaulC » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:00 am

The SubCommittee has been invited to participate in the AMA's eighth annual Grand Event to be held in Waco, Texas. Activities will start at noon on Friday, August 26th and run until 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 28th.

The event will be held at the Heart of Texas Miniature Aircraft Club flying site, located off Park Road 3 in Speegleville Park near State Highway 6. A 100' x 40' boat pond has been constructed with an average depth of 2.5' - 3'.

We will have a display table throughout the event and at 1:00pm on Saturday r/c submarines will be the featured demonstration on the pond.

The AMA's goal for the event is to provide hands-on modeling experience by offering demonstrations of Radio Control aircraft, cars and boats, as well as kite flying, rockets, and control line. Opportunities for “Make-and-Take” items like kites and rockets make this an interactive event. There will be a raffle type selection in which an attendee will win the opportunity to drive a sub on Saturday afternoon. Attendance is free.

For further information, visit the official site here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/gepage2005.asp

Currently, Gail Phillips and I plan to man the booth and run in the demos. Is anyone else interested in bringing a running sub and helping to spread the SC word at this high profile event? It's a great opportunity to poach new members from the r/c skimmer and zoomie crowds.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:01 pm

I spoke with Bob Cervenka in Waco today and he confirmed the size of the pond: 80' x 40' and averaging 2' - 3' depth.

The estimated attendance over the course of the weekend is 6000 - 8000 people. A great venue for us to show off our stuff.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:34 pm

Gail and I spent the weekend at the AMA Grand Event in Waco, Texas at the HOTMAC r/c airfield doing show and tell. The response was pretty amazing. Many comments of, "I didn't know anyone did SUBS!" We got to do several demos each day in the pond they built for us. We ran until the target drivers couldn't stand it.

My LA in the pond. Or is it an official Navy photo....? The basin was lined and filled with well water. Depth averaged 30 - 40 inches. Not much room to wrangle but we managed periscope depth without difficulty.

Gail giving the crowd what they want. He wisely moved to the shade of a tree to get a little relief from the 103F. heat.

Gail's Seawolf doing a static dive to check trim before heading out (I've heard about control issues with this boat in this scale and I'm hear to tell you, Gail's is highly maneuverable and very fast).

Gail gives more answers to the endless loop of questions about what we do: "How deep does the signal reach?"... "Where do you run?"... "How do they go down and come back up?"... "Where do you get the kits?"... We talked the SC to 100's of people and gave out literature until we were red in the face -- literally.

The AMA people were very nice and took great care of us. As this event travels around the country each year the SC should make an effort to have local people there. Peferably solid sub drivers with a background in sales. Who knows when the next r/c flyboy, helo jockey or target driver will come over to the dark side and start flying underwater?
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:54 am

Fantastic job you guys. Very professional looking booth too!
You did the club proud. Hope you can do a writeup for the SCR.

For anyone else who does this sort of show and you don't have your own nifty banner like SR5's, the two SubCommittee banners are available for loan to display at the event and there are SubCommittee / RC submarine brochures available for download off this site in the FAQ area.

:laugh:

Edited By TMSmalley on 1125327387
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas