Banner Ad 1

SubRegatta 2005 - Raffle!

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby TMSmalley » Tue May 17, 2005 4:18 pm

SUBREGATTA RAFFLE -

Every year at SubRegatta - the raffle table gets bigger and better. For a $1 investment you can get a hull, WTC or other SubGoody worth hundreds! This year - it promises to be the biggest raffle yet!

The money raised by the sale of $1 raffle tickets helps defray the cost of table and tent rental and reduces the drain on the SubCommittee coffers - so buy lots. :laugh:

So far (as of May 16) we have submarine / hobby-related items from (or promised from) the companies listed below.

Please support these folks by buying first from them!
Cottage Industries
MCD - Model Control Devices
Ships N' Things
Savas Beattie LLC (sub books)
Mike's Sub Works - SubTech USA distributor
Floating Drydock
Xuron Corporation
Ships N Things

These private individuals have also agreed to "kick in" goodies for the raffle.

Steve Jensen
John Schagane
Tim Smalley
Craig O'Neil
Doug Persons
The family of Art Meyer
Shiu-Fung Pang

Thanks to everyone so far - and keep that stuff a'comin!!! I just sent out the email today to the hobby companies and sub vendors begging for donations, so I will update this list as we receive committments for more items.

If you ~ as a private member ~ want to give something to help your club, shoot me an email (tmsmalley@yahoo.com) or one to John Schagane (subron6@alltel.net) to let us know what you are thinking about donating or if you would like some suggestions.

Not a bad return for a $1 investment! :cool:

Edited By TMSmalley on 1122125860
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed May 18, 2005 12:16 pm

~ More Raffle Donations ~

UPDATE - 17 May 2005

Jason Overhulser of Model Brass
You see Jason's ad popping up at the top of this page from time to time! He has offered to donate four or five of his aftermarket brass decks that he sells as an upgrade to the Revell Type VII kit. These things are bee-u-ti-fulll! If you don't win one in the raffle, you are going to want to order one from him. He will probably be at the show.
www.modelbrass.com

Dr. Art Broder
Dr. Art is donating two RCABs miniature compressor pumps one for Saturday raffle and one for Sunday - PLUS all the proceeds (after expenses) of the sales of his RCABS compressors for the whole year! WOW!!!!!! Danke Herr Doktor!

"DR. RCABS" BRODER ON THE COVER OF THE PROVIDENCE PAPER

Edited By TMSmalley on 1116622860
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu May 19, 2005 11:01 pm

19 May 2005
Here's another great vendor donating goodies to the SubRegatta Raffle:

Torpedo Junction ~ Rick Savel
Torpedo Junction website

UPDATE 25 May
Here is what Rick is sending us - NEW BOOKS (not second hand)

Ferguson, Julie H. THROUGH A CANADIAN PERISCOPE: The Story of the Canadian Submarine Service Dundurn Press 1995 A thoroughly researched account of the Canadian submarine service from its unexpected inauguration in British Columbia on the first day of the Great War to its uncertain future today. Describes the activities of the submarine service during and after World War I, details the careers of the Canadians who served with distinction in British submarines in all theatres of World War II, and examines the modern era, from the rebirth of the service in the 1960s to the present. Contents include; The Birth of the Canadian Submarine Service, 1914, Canadian Submariners in Europe, 1917-1918, Canadians in The Mediterranean, 1941-1943, Canada Rents Submarines, 1946-1959, The Canadian O Boats, and more. Comprehensive, interviews, 36 pages of photos, maps, tables, detailed appendices, index, notes, bibliography, 364 pages. 1st edition NEW condition book and dust jacket. List price: $25.00

Hill, A. J. UNDER PRESSURE: The Final Voyage of Submarine S-Five Free Press 2002 The true story of the 36 hour long ordeal of the crew of the S-Five submarine that went down in waters in the Atlantic. With no radio, no electrical system, one drive motor shut down, and the ship full of water, the captain and crew fight to find a way to survive. It is a story of the courage, endurance, and incredible resoursefulness of the entire 41 man crew. Photos, app., 256 pages. 1st edition NEW condition book and dust jacket. List price: $25.00

Waller, Douglas C. BIG RED: Three Months on Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine Harper-Collins 2001 The Trident nuclear submarine is the most complex war machine the United States Navy has ever produced, a $1.8 billion marvel crammed with more modern military technology than any other vessel in the world. Deep beneath the ocean, it can sail silently for months, practically impossible to detect by the enemy. And the twenty-four ballistic missiles on board just one of these subs have enough strategic nuclear warheads to unleash twice the explosive energy detonated by all the conventional weapons in World War II. Granted more access to these awesome submarines than any journalist before, veteran Time magazine correspondent Douglas C. Waller reports on a tension packed three month patrol deep in the Atlantic Ocean inside one of these Tridents, the U.S.S. Nebraska, and penetrates one of the most secretive worlds in the U.S. Military. 16 pages of photos, 336 pages. 1st edition NEW condition book and dust jacket. List price: $27.50

Edited By TMSmalley on 1117053326
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Fri May 20, 2005 10:24 am

20 May 2005 ~ Another great donation, this time from:

Thor Design and Development just donated a complete RC submarine electronics suite of a PC4 Pitch controller, SC20 Speed control, and a Microsafe failsafe.

Fantastic Matt, Thanks!!!
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Sun May 22, 2005 7:11 pm

21 May 2005
Casey Thrower just offered to donate a Revell Type VII and is looking for a micro sub from a local vendor. Thanks Casey! That's showing the old club spirit!

22 May 2005
Tony Galonio is pitching in with an MCD Failsafe, two 6 Volt motors and a Dumas gel cel battery and charger. Thanks Tone!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Mon May 23, 2005 4:27 pm

23 May 2005
Dave Manley from Small World Models is going to donate one of his brand new LASD (Littoral Area SEAL Delivery) sub kits complete with motors! This will be a HOT one on the raffle table!

Small World Models' New Litoral Area SEAL Delivery Sub will be one of the great prizes on the SubRegatta Raffle Table this July. You can win it, but only if you Come to the Regatta and plunk down a dollar for a raffle ticket!

Here is the SWM LASD sub with a nifty camo paint job.

Edited By TMSmalley on 1117036951
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed May 25, 2005 11:54 am

25 May 2005

I just heard from Dave Keoh - the "new" proprietor of SubTech and owner of Pandan Model Boats about the SubRegatta raffle. Thanks Dave!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Tim,

I will be happy to supply some items for the raffle. I will definitely let you have three APC-4's and a couple of the new SES-3 switches/Failsafes and I will see if we can stretch to an Albacore or Marlin basic kit.

Dave - SubTech UK

Pandan Models Homepage

Edited By TMSmalley on 1117052031
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed May 25, 2005 4:08 pm

25 May 2005 Part II

I just got this word from Big Dave Welch about his donation to the SubRegatta raffle. As you know, Dave sells WTC kits to RC plastic model kits like the Revell type VII and Trumpter Kilo and Seawolf subs.

Hi Tim,
Just to let you know for your raffle list, I am going to donate a Seawolf package. Which includes my WTC kit, the RCABS ballast kit, the motor gearbox unit, and the Seawolf model kit itself. This is pretty much everything but R/C system. See you at the regatta. Dave

Edited By TMSmalley on 1117051805
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu May 26, 2005 6:43 am

26 May 2005

Just received word on TWO more commercially built WTCs coming in for regatta prizes - we will have one for each day!

26 May Part II -
Here's a note from Bob Dimmock of OTW.

Hi Tim
Can't make it this year but I will send some OTW INC Tee shirts for the Raffle.

Have a good one,

Bob

Edited By TMSmalley on 1117109153
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue May 31, 2005 7:04 am

Casey Thrower, SubCommittee member from Alabama, has been doing a great job collecting prizes for the SubRegatta raffle.

So far he has gotten the following items:

A Revell Type VII kit and DVD of Ice Station Zebra (both of which he paid for himself), a mini aquarium sub from "RC Hobbies", and a Dumas Akula kit from "Hobbytown USA" - both shops in Hunstville, AL.

Way to go!!! I hope other members will try to do what you are doing, Casey.

Casey and his wife drive all the way to Indiana from Alabama just to run subs!

Edited By TMSmalley on 1118842897
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue May 31, 2005 12:21 pm

Steve Nuttal,while not being able to join us at the SubRegatta, has just offered to donate some of his great custom brass sub stuff for the raffle table. Thanks Steve!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:53 pm

I just heard from Frank Groza, a new SC member from Byesville Ohio who is going to bring two new gel-cell batteries for a donation to the raffle table.

Thanks Frank, I hope more guys will be generous like you!

Tim

Edited By TMSmalley on 1118685454
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Desert Boat » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:50 pm

Tim ... dumb question time! Can those of us members not able to make the regatta buy raffle tickets? If so, and IF I were to win, I'd pay mailing/shipping charges. There may be more of us interested in this possibility. Thanks from Arizona.
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:08 pm

Sorry Ray - "...must be present to win".

For folks who haven't been to a SubRegatta...
The way the raffle works is that when your ticket number is called (tickets are $1 each and you are encourged to buy MULTIPLE tickets), you walk up to the table and select the prize that is of the most interest to you. One person might take a sub movie poster, another guy might grab a set of plans for a Hungarian WWI submarine and a third might grab a CD of submarine polka music played by Frankie Yankovic on the Cordovox. (If ONLY! :D ) Very few people walk away without winning something and the proceeds help pay for the tent, table and chair rentals.

Maybe you could get a buddy to "proxy" for you - sort of like when you hand him a quarter and tell him to put it in a slot machine when he goes to Vegas. :;):

Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Desert Boat » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:32 pm

Sniff ... whimper ... bawl ... ok ... I understand. :(
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas