Banner Ad 1

Cool Radio Impound Stands - Thanks to Steve Jensen

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:18 pm

Steve Jensen is a member of SubRon6 and a professional "tin bender" as he calls himself. He is in reality an artisan who installs beautiful copper roofing and can make danged near anything out of metal. If you come to the SubRegatta you will see one of his metal SeeHund hulls.

Here he is as he works on one of three sheet metal radio stands for the SubRegatta Radio Impound Booth. Steve will be "Boris The Radio Czar" at the event. He tells me he has a bungee arrangement to keep the radios from falling off the stands and plenty of Band-Aids.

Very cool Steve ~ Thanks!!! :cool:

Edited By TMSmalley on 1121808107
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby chips » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:49 am

I've got one of the Duratrax Frequency Checkers on 75 MHz that Steve can use for impound. We used it at the Great Lakes Scale Model Boat Show and Regatta last weekend; the radio impound guys said it helped them to monitor the frequencies. It detects both AM and FM signals, as well as the"ghost" signals caused by frequency harmonics - like channels 62 & 66 creating channel 70.
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:01 am

Sounds good Bob.
Thanks!
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jshag » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:18 pm

Bob,
Thanks for the offer. I picked up one just for this event. Looks like the way to go. They will know before they give out a channel if there is problems.

John Schagane
John Schagane
SubRon6
Lexington, KY
Jshag
SubCommittee Member

Postby chips » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:32 am

John,

After using at the Great Lakes Regatta last week and some testing in my shop, I know for a fact that it does give FALSE readings due to harmonic intermodulation between frequencies. I powered up six of my radios, and had ten solid lights: the six my radios were on; and 4 "ghosts". As I turned off radios, the ghosts would go off or sometimes jump to another frequency. It's not completely fool proof, but it does help the impound guys.

Edited By chips on 1122006847
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas