Banner Ad 1

1st time attending - Do I need a tent or anything

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby TheMongoose » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:06 pm

Hi Guys, This is the 1st time I will be attending a SubRegatta. Do I need a canopy type tent or something to keep my stuff under? Or will I be able to take up some table space in this big tent that I see mentioned in a few posts? Should I bring my own folding chairs and table? Just trying to close up a few loose ends as we get ready to head up there. If oyu can think of anything that would be good to have(I saw cyluum lite sticks in 1 post) could you jot it down for me...you know anything you've learned over the years that was helpful to have!

My 9 yr old and I are planning to be there the whole weekend. He's working on a destroyer to bring up! I still don't have my Balao class boat done but I plan to bring it and work on it while I'm there.

Thanks for the info in advance,

Chris
Aaarrggghhhh, Play Me A Dirge Matey
TheMongoose

Postby chips » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:22 pm

You can display your models on the tables under the big top tents. No need to bring your own table or chairs. Bring some sun screen, polarized sun glasses and a big brimmed hat. The Indy sun beats down pretty good. An ice chest of liquid refreshment is good to have as well.
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:37 am

BYOTTCBNB?
(Bringing your own tent,table,chairs but no beer.)

Hey Chris! You are going to love it - it's a great time talking to all the other sub moonies and just playing with subs in a nice pond.

Adding to what Bob/Chips said ~
While we will have tables/chairs and two "big top" 25 X 50 tents set up and available for attendee's use, if you do have an "EZ-Up" type canopy (see picture below), feel free to bring it along with your own chairs and table if you want to set up right along pond side. Pep Boys has sales on the 10' x 10' EZ Up canopies about every other week for between $69 - $99.

Sunscreen is a must!- the Indy summer sun can rival the hottest day in Alabama. According to Weatherbase.com Indianapolis temps and precipitationThe average daily high temp in July is 85 degrees F and the record high temp for July is 104!

Coolers are good too, but remember, non-alcoholic beverages only. We are in a city park and beer/booze will get the offender's butt ejected from the event for the day by the local "John Law" with no appeals.

Edited By TMSmalley on 1121178029
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tommydeen » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:38 pm

Tim will there be tables there that we can use under our EZ-up's? I would bring my own but space is limited in my vehicle..

Tom
Tommydeen
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:57 pm

You betcha. See you in a few weeks!
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rick Teskey » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:51 am

No Beer!!!!!
What the heck is that all about?
A permit should be available too allow the golden necture of the gods.
Any sailor worth his salt is a groog swilling tabaccie chewin', cussing and fighting man!!!
O.K. for all the tree huggin p.c. types we will for go the chewin , cussin and fighting ... but no Beer?
You expect me too drive 8 hours in 80+ heat too play nice and no beer? Whats next no socks with sandels ?
I thought the U.S was the home of the brave and the land of the beer! oops the land of the free ( but no beer?)
Seriously a permit should be looked into for this event.
Rick Teskey
CANADA :(
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jeffrey J » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:07 am

Rick, if you show up i will by you all the beer you want Sat. night, last time i saw you was in Groton in 94, so i figure i-o-u a beer or two, if nothing else at least for your drive down form Canada,,,,,that goes for any other Canadians :laugh: Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby Bigdave » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:13 am

Hey Rick,
I saw your name on Tim's list. I said to the Rochester guys "Teskey is coming to the Regatta". The reply was Great! but I hope he does not have to swim for the flying sub this year. :D It will be good to see you again. See Ya Soon, Dave.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:45 pm

They serve Molsons in the hotel saloon. :;):
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:53 pm

Not allowed to drink beer?!!!

Blimey, sounds a bit draconian. Glad we don't have any laws like that over here(yet)!

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:29 pm

I'm not sure if there are any laws preventing this. I'd worry more about legal action in the event of any accidents.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Admirals Commander » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:06 pm

Guys,
The Indy Admirals are really excited to be helping make this a great event. Please remember that it is the end of July which we all know is warm. The Admirals are taking care of the food and selling diet and regular pop and water. If you want something different, feel free to bring it. The alcohol concern is for the pond area and the other city properties (fire house and city hall). Indiana does not ban beer, we just cannot have it at the event. We will have loads of families and kids checking out your great subs and we don't want to discourage anyone from our hobby.
There is a great deal to do in the area if you bring your families if they don't want to hang around the pond. Let me know if you need any area information.
Thanks
Admirals Commander

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas