Banner Ad 1

This Saturday and Sunday Apr. 16 & 17 - Woods Hole Model Boat Show

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby Art Broder » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:13 pm

Ah, Yes, Woods Hole. Famous for Alvin and Remus, (An autonomous submersible). I'll be going down there tomorrow night to exhibit my subs on Saturday and Sunday, at the Woods Hole Model Boat Show, April 16 and 17. I plan to demonstrate model sub operation in the Oceanographic Institution's 40 ft. long test tank. Come on down if you can. Many surface ships models are on display each day, and sub demos are scheduled both mornings from 10 or 11-12. I'll see if I can get permission to get you to run your sub in the tank, if you bring an operational model. Contact me today or tomorrow morning.
Art
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:31 pm

Well, this year's sub demos didn't go too well because of a previously undetected malfunctioning drive motor. I only got a very minimal, disappointing run on Saturday, and didn't even attempt to try a run on Sunday. Fortunately, I brought my laptop with me so I was able to show videos, taken in 2003, of my Alfa performing well in the test tank. The attendees still got to see the sub in action.
Right next door to our display building was the Smith Labs of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, WHOI, where a few of us got a peek at the new AUV "Sentry", they were building. Here is an article about Remus, and it's use in the Gulf war.
Remus AUV
My pictures of Remus, and Sentry, on the Alfa page of My Webpage
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas