Banner Ad 1

SubRegatta 2005 - It's Official!

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby Thomcmdchief » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:39 am

Hey everyone, I know most of you will bein Carmel for the boats, but I just have to mention there is a White Castle in the area. You just haven't lived until you have a dozen or so fresh "slyders".

Thom
SC 2471
Thomcmdchief

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:07 pm

For those that arrive early or stay an extra day, the Indianapolis 500 Speedway (The Brickyard) is a reasonable drive away, has a great museum and track tours are availabe - $3 for adults $1 for kids.

Click to go to the Indy 500 Speedway website with tour info

For other Indianapolis Tourism info go to [url=http://www.indy.org/sections/Visitors/Things%20to%20Do%20%AMP%%20See/index.asp?cid=236]Indy Tourism Website[/url]

Edited By TMSmalley on 1111420058
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tommydeen » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:14 am

just put in for vacation today..will see you guys there!!!

Tom
Tommydeen
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:59 am

Great! From the number of emails I have gotten so far - it looks like this one may smash SubRegatta attendance records! We have one couple driving up from Florida. I hope that being mid-continent, we can get people who have never been able to come due to the distance.

We also already have a some raffle prizes and a number of volunteer workers.

Speaking of raffle prizes - I hope that once again we will have some donated by club members. The last few years, I think we got almost as many donated by members as came from the vendors. What a great bunch of guys!

We are also shooting for a Saturday evening RC Sub Seminar -like back in the old days, when Skip, Dave, Mike and other sub intelligencia would get up and teach us how to do it right. I bit the bullet and bought my own digital projector for my laptop so we can do Powerpoints and project some submarine movies nice and big at the Friday meet and greet.

Can you tell I'm excited about the regatta?!!! Can't wait!!!! :laugh:

Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby eckloss » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:31 am

I'll be driving in from West Virginia. The last Regatta I was able to attend was '99. Really looking forward to it!
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:48 am

CAMPGROUNDS in AREA

There are three is the general Hamilton County area - I don't have any email info or websites for them so "let your fingers do the walking..."

1. Overdorf Lake Fish Camp Resort in Arcadia at (22 mi from pond)
P.O.Box 95
9590 East 266th Street
Arcadia, Indiana 46030
(317) 984-5955 Season
(317) 758-5145 off Season

Total Number Of Sites: 29
Season: April 1st to October 15th
Pay Lake fishing is our main business. We have fishing derbies (with prizes) on holiday weekends. Our facility includes a 6 acre lake, shade, clean grounds and restrooms. 7 sites with 30 & 50 amp full hook-up services. 8 sites with 30 amp hook-ups, 16 sites with 20 amp hook-ups and 6 watering stations.
Our store is stocked with a full line of catfish tackle and bait, some camping supplies and packaged snack foods. Small "V" and Jon boat rental available for fishing. (Camping charges do NOT include fishing)

2. Riverbend Campground in Noblesville (12 mi from pond)
21695 SR 37 N., Noblesville, IN (317) 773-3333
100 sites. Located on 25 wooded acres along the White River, this campground offers RV and tent sites, canoe and kayak rental, boat ramp, showers, toilets, laundry room, playground and campstore. Open April through Dec.1.

3. White River Campground in Cicero at 317.984.2705 (17 mi from pond.) 11299 E. 234th St., Cicero, IN
107 sites. This 26 acre campground is located along the White River. Showers, a playground, laundry room, campstore and a recreation room are available. Open April 15 through Oct. 30.

Edited By TMSmalley on 1108745807
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TheMongoose » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:59 pm

got my reservations tonight! staying at the doubletree.
Aaarrggghhhh, Play Me A Dirge Matey
TheMongoose

Postby TMSmalley » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:26 am

You'll love it. Nicest hotel I have stayed in for a Subrun!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:40 pm

Hotel - 'El Cheapo... $33.29 / night.
For those of you who need a cheap place to stay, here is a note from Chris Campbell - SC member who lives in Carmel Indiana and is president of the Indy Admirals...

I found a low rate on www.orbitz.com . The Motel 6 has a $33 rate for all three nights. The hotel is a $33 place though. This is the cheapest in Carmel and is about 10 minutes away from the pond. Chris Campbell

NOTE - The address is 9402 Haver Way, Indianapolis, IN 46240

(Book directly through www.orbitz.com -note that even Orbitz.com rates this as a ONE STAR - out of 5 - facility)

Map from Motel 6 to the pond. The pond address (for mapquesting purposes) is 802-3rd Ave SW, Carmel, IN 46032

If you go to on Orbitz.com or Expedia.com you might find a hotel somewhere in between this one and the Doubletree as far as amenities. :cool:

Edited By TMSmalley on 1109096499
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Turbobearcat » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:25 pm

Thomcmdchief wrote:Hey everyone, I know most of you will bein Carmel for the boats, but I just have to mention there is a White Castle in the area. You just haven't lived until you have a dozen or so fresh "slyders".

Thom
SC 2471

OH MY! SLIDERS! :-)
What would we do with out Whities!

:-)
"Prepare for ramming speed!"
Turbobearcat

Postby Turbobearcat » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:28 pm

Tim

I just got two new toys, one a nice Digital camera and a new DV camrecorder..so can we say"DVD" :-)
I'll be there this time, I had to skip out last August and Feb 12 , I should ahve my Kilo ready and maybe my Seawolf as well.(Thanks To Dave)

Mark
"Prepare for ramming speed!"
Turbobearcat

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:50 am

Great!

I encourage everyone to bring ALL your subs and sub related toys!

People come to the SubRegatta to see submarines - finished AND unfinished - working and not. Even if they are still in the box!

Edited By TMSmalley on 1109088116
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:09 pm

TORPDOES LOS!

We just received confirmation from Mike Dory that he and his wife will be attending the 2005 SubRegatta and he has agreed to put on a Saturday night seminar on how he does torpedoes from his RC subs.

NOTE-
We are also working on several other speakers - so if you have a topic or speaker you would like to suggest, please email me at
tmsmalley @ yahoo.com !
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:54 pm

Just got a note from Wil Oudmeyer. Both he and Tom Anderson from California will be making the trek out to the SubRegatta this July for the first time in several years.

Tom and Wil specialize in those fantastic Swedish and Dutch sub models with piston dive systems. You can actually see them hover motionlessly off the bottom ~ It is quite a sight!

Sjoormen (rear) and Dutch Walrus (front)

Wil Oudmeyer's Dutch Walrus looks as though it is floating in air in the gin-clear water of the San Francisco flycasting pond.

Tom and Wil

Edited By TMSmalley on 1109282434
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:59 am

Hey bubbleheads -
I posted some updates on the very first post in the string.

The SC web provider has been unable to get us set up with our own regatta page so we will have to put the Regatta info on the message board until if/when that happens.

We will also have a page or so in the June SCR with info, but you had better make hotel reservations WAY before that. The Brickyard 400 Auto Race at the Indy Speedway is the weekend following the SubRegatta, so hotels might be starting to book up early for pit crews and so on.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas