Banner Ad 1

How about an event in LA? - Possible event at Balboa lake?

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby U812 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:44 am

I'm noticing here that there's not much activity with subs in the LA area. We have a great park here in the valley with a very large man made lake. It's called Balboa lake. It's near by to the great RC airplane field I also fly at.

Am I the only guy here in LA interested in subs? What would it take to organize and event here? If there's anymore of you out there let me know.

Steve
U812

Postby chips » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:24 pm

If you want to find other people interested in subs in the LA area, join the SubCommittee. The SubCommittee publishes an annual membership list - available to SubCommittee members only.
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:20 pm

Just sent my check today. Thanks.

Steve
U812

Postby Tom Spettel » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:56 pm

If you want to start a fun run in L.A....first things first...check
with the city the lake is in.. that will determine if you can even run in the lake. if its cool?! the get the membership roster, a book of stamps,make a flyer and send em out.
good luck
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Postby U812 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:04 pm

Hey thanks Tom. Are you out this way?

The Balboa park lake is open to electric boats only. No problem there. I'll look into a permit from the city. I have friends that put on RC plane events in the same park yearly and I'm sure they'll point me in the right direction.

Thank you very muck for the suggestions tom!

Steve
U812

Postby WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:45 pm

Task Force-96 has been gathering at Balboa Lake for a few years now.
We use 3 lakes in So Cal including Balboa, Lake Huntington in Huntington Beach and Santee Lakes in Santee Ca,

On Dec-11 Task Force-96 will be meeting with the Eigth Fleet guys down in Santee Lakes, we usually have subs with us as well, Dave Manley will be bringing out some of his subs. We usualluy run from 10:00am til about 3:00 pm

Santee is east of San Diego

To get to Santee Lakes, go east on Hwy 52 to Mast Blvd., exit and turn left (under the fwy) approx 2 miles you will go over a bridge which actually goes over the lake we are running in, turn right at the end of the bridge, go to the end of this short street and turn right again and the park entrance is about 150 yards on your right. it cost $3.00 to enter the park. Follow the road until you pass the first lake and then turn left and pass between the 2 lakes, we will be set up under the bridge to your right.
W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
www.scaleshipyard.com
Largest Selection of quality fiberglass model warship & submarine hulls.
WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard

Postby U812 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:48 pm

Shipyard,

Thanks for the information. I'll try to get away here but it will be hard at this time of year with the family and all. I'm about 12 minutes from Balboa. If I can't make it down south I hope that you would post here the next time you guys are at Balboa so I can come and play!

Thanks again,

Steve
U812

Postby tknofile » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:20 am

Hi steve,

I, too, would like to see some event here in LA. (As would my wife, the regatta is always around our anniversary). I live in Studio City and have run my sub at Balboa a handful of times. The only drawback to Balboa is that it is supplied with reclaimed water from the sewage system. I'm pretty sure they won't let you go swimming for a lost boat. It happened to me a long time ago, and by sheer luck, I got my boat back the next morning. Anyway, give me a call if you want to go run there. I drive a little more cautiously in that lake nowadays, but I still go. (818) 509-9494.

-Rick
SC member
tknofile

Postby U812 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:25 am

Rick,

Sounds like a plan. But you could always come over to my place and test your subs in my pool too before you try them there.

I know it's murky there.

I live in Northridge so I'm really close. Your welcome anytime. #### we never use the pool anyway but it's good for subs!!!LOL

Steve
U812

Postby WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:41 am

This is a bit late, but.... there will be a gathering of 1:96 scale Warships at Lake Huntington in Huntington Beach Ca. on Sun= Jan-2nd 2005.

I do not know how many subs will show up but we usually get a few.

My son Tommy and I are going to be going out to Lake Huntington in Huntington Beach to run our Battleships on Sunday, January 2nd 2005, at approximately 11:00 AM
until 3:00 PM. Everyone is invited to bring your ships out to run with us or just come by for a get together. I will be bringing out my USS New Jersey and Tommy is bringing the Graf Spee.

Hope to see any of you there.

Directions from LA:
South on the 405 to the Westminster / Springdale exit, follow the exit to go east on Westminster to Edwards turn right and go South on Edwards, turn left on Inlet Dr.
The lake is on the righthand side of the street.

Directions from San Diego

North on I-5 to N 405 exit at Westminster East, turn right on Westminster to Edwards and follow the same directions as above.
W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
www.scaleshipyard.com
Largest Selection of quality fiberglass model warship & submarine hulls.
WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard

Postby U812 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:59 pm

Sorry I missed it. Thanks for posting but I'm not getting my notifications via email consistantly or I would have seen this post before today.

Oh well next time.

Thanks again!

Steve
U812

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas