Banner Ad 1

Carmel reggatta 2011 was awesome

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Carmel reggatta 2011 was awesome

Postby flying jeep » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:25 pm

For those of you that missed this weekends event in Carmel let me tell you it was hot but awesome. At least from a newbys eyes. I had the chance to talk to most folks there and learn a bunch about setting up a sub. My hat is off to "Big Dave" who really took time to talk to me. And when I saw a very distiguished looking gentalman with a name tag that said "Skip Asay" I almost kneeled down in his presence. He is the Godfather after all. That's what it said on the other side of his name badge! Skip also took time out of his day to help me with my failed 20 year old U-boat project. I also came home with a new radio from Mike's Sub Works. Gotta love those folks! The man from Canada, I wish I caught his name, with the Nautalis and U-boat was also a great help. And a lot of fun to talk to. I was his first Carmel reggatta and it looked like he was having fun as well. He is truely an artist!

flying jeep

Re: Carmel reggatta 2011 was awesome

Postby fgroza » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:35 pm

As in the past, Chris and his crew did it again! Thanks to the Admirals club for the use of their pond and membership.
See you in Carmel next year!
Frank
fgroza

Postby eckloss » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:59 pm

das jeep...

i still consider myself a rookie, even though my first regatta was in 1999 in groton. it's great to hear that you had a similar experience to my first...meeting great people, learning tons of helpful info, and coming home with more than you brought. never miss another one! it broke my heart not being able to be there this year. the regatta has a way of getting to the point where it is the one weekend each year that you plan for and work towards all year long.

(just watch out for those canadian boys! :twisted: )

das erich
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Erick,
The Canadian group came in force again this year. Kevin continues to improve his Oscar with functional missle bay doors and the tubes into which the missles will reside.
One thing different this year was a farmers market going on across the street. Food and drink as well as fresh veggies were available.
Frank
fgroza

Postby Ronnie B » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Yes I have to agree ,
Once again a GREAT JOB done by the Admirals and all who helped with the wonderfull prize donations.
It was great to see old freinds and make some new ones... The only ones I did not want to show up are those nasty Gremlins who allways manage to get into our boats :twisted: :twisted:
But all in all a GREAT TIME

Ron
U Boats, The only boats that you want to sink!!
Ronnie B

Postby Pirate » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:16 pm

FANTASTIC time again at the Superegatta! Thanks so much to Chris Campbell and the rest of the Indy Admirals for their hard work and donated time to make the subregatta so enjoyable for all of us from out of town. You guys and gals are the best!
And thanks to all who donated raffle prizes. There was thousands of dollars worth of models, electronics and other goodies, including coveted models which have been discontinued, which would easily have fetched handsome prices on Ebay, but instead they donated them to this to raise money and pay for the event. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

It was a blast getting to see all of you who were there again this year. The running in the crystal-clear pond was perfect. The night runs on both Friday and Saturday nights had the best turnouts I've ever seen at those with 24 and 30 people respectively, and there had to be 10 or more boats running at any one time. I can't say it enough, what a fun time!

Can't wait 'til next year. If you missed this one, do anything you can to make it to the next one, 'cause you missed out on one of the best sub events ever.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:36 am

Yea!! What he said!! :mrgreen: 8)
If you have never come to a subregatta you do not know what you are missing. :wink:
For us old-timers. (Not mentioning any names) :roll: :shock: :roll: We go to BS with friends as much as we do to run our subs. :lol:
As my good friend JIm Butt said, even if none of my subs ran at the event, I would still have a great time talking model subs with friends.
Thanks again Chris and the Admirals for a great weekend. You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BD.

O!!
I want to give a big thumbs up to the man himself Skip Asay.
Skip has made all 20 regattas!!!
Most of us would not be here if it were not for you my friend!!!
Thanks for putting up with 20+ years of dumb questions. :lol:
BTW- How does the radio signal get underwater!!! :P :P :lol:
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby flying jeep » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:29 pm

fgroza wrote:Erick,
The Canadian group came in force again this year. Kevin continues to improve his Oscar with functional missle bay doors and the tubes into which the missles will reside.
One thing different this year was a farmers market going on across the street. Food and drink as well as fresh veggies were available.
Frank

I was lucky enough to talk to Kevin as he was messing about with the missile doors Sunday and had a nice chat with him. What a very interesting project to say the least. Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with big Dave? I would like to know more about his Mayo Jar sub.

Thanks,
Jay

P.S. Never mind the last bit, I just found his posting on this thread....
flying jeep

Postby donO » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:16 am

Patti and I want to especially thank Chris and Julie Campbell for collecting all of the raffle prizes and holding them at their house for so many months, and then for all the hard work leading up to and during the regatta. You guys are the best.

We also wanted to thank the Admirals for all of their support in providing pop up tents and set up every morning from their trailer. Thanks to Dave Hampton and the folks who manned the Admirals tent for watching the raffle table and providing the great ladder entry system in the pond. Without your support this regatta would not have been possible either.

This regatta was one of the best due to the folks who attended as well. Meeting our Canadian friends, and enjoying Brenda's World famous butter tarts is always the highlight of the regatta for us. This year we got to meet Tony and Justin from Australia as well. Hope you guys enjoyed yourselves as much as we enjoyed showing you around at the hobby shop and spending time at dinner.

Everyone had a great time at this great "pond". Can't wait till next year.
Don Osler

donO
SubCommittee Member

Postby Larry Kuntz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:44 pm

As Big Dave said, well done Admirals. The weekend was great as usual. Lots of fun, good conversation and lots of laughs. Every time I've been there it's been great. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks
:D :D :D
Larry Kuntz
SubRon8
ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Butter tarts! I didn't get any butter tarts. Bring more next year 'cause I want to try these famous butter tarts. What is a butter tart? Is there another name for them, because I've never seen anything called butter tart before? But you 8-balls have been raving about them for a long time now. How about you bring even more, and sell them to raise some more money for the regatta? If they're as good as you say, I bet you'd raise a bunch.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:02 am

Well Pete, Sadly :cry: :cry: the butter tarts are a Canadian treat. :cry:
You do not see them in the US. Out of the kindness or their hearts our friends from across the big lake bring them over for us.
The store bought ones are very good, but the ones Brenda makes are to die for!! :wink:
Think pecan pie in tart size without the nuts. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: BD.
BTW-I am sure if she brought enough to sell she could finance the trip. :lol: :lol:
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:48 pm

How to bring a smile to your face--memories from Carmel YEA!!!!!!!!!BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
For the uninformed, you had to be there---- and take a chance when you went up to collect your raffle prize. When your number was called, the crowd would yell "YEA!!!!!!" then when you got to the table to collect your prize, yep--"BOOOOOOO'"
It became comical for a while. Really bad if you won more than one time. Blame it on the Canadians!!

Still a great group with fun times at every table. Hope you get all fixed up for next year Teskey!

Frank
fgroza

Postby Pirate » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Yeaaaa!
Booooooooo!
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:25 pm

We're going to have a fabulous write-up on this year's regatta in the September SCR. VP Chris Campbell has provided me a great article with loads of photos. Stay tune!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas