Banner Ad 1

2011 Carmel Subregatta - COMMENTS

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

2011 Carmel Subregatta - COMMENTS

Postby admiralscommander » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Welcome everyone to the comments section for the 2011 Subregatta! Please use this posting section for comments and questions. The INFO ONLY section is locked and was made to have a fast and easy place to find all the information you will need to have a great weekend.

We are currently working on the plans for the 2011 Subregatta and I hope that you will find this year's event one of the best ever!

Thank you and I hope to see you here!

Chris Campbell
Subcommittee VP and Subregatta Chairman
admiralscommander

Re: 2011 Carmel Subregatta - COMMENTS

Postby Kerry Addington » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:53 am

Well, this may be too late, but I'll fire an opening shot and ask how folks might feel about the 25th ( ?) SubRegatta being a 3-day event beginning on the 5th. Obviously this is easy for a local guy to float, but I did hear quite a bit of talk about this possibility during last year's event, most of it concerning how such a format would facilitate:
1) a true night run on Friday or Saturday following a dinner break, whichever night is not already occupied with the SubSeminar.
2) The option for some travellers of an earlier Sunday departure and return to work on Monday.
Now, I'll duck and draw the return fire/comment...
-Kerry
Kerry Addington

Postby Bigdave » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Torpedo of the port bow my friend!! :mrgreen: :lol:
To the 8-balls it has always been an unoffical 3-day event.
We have always traveled on Thursday to get there for some R/R and B/S on Friday.
We hit the hobby shops, help set up, hang out with types like Jim Butt, and generally harass the locals!! :roll: :oops:
Some of us run the subs as well on Friday.
Chris always sets aside rooms for Thursday night as well. Hopefully again this year. BD.
Last edited by Bigdave on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby admiralscommander » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Kerry and Jim bring up some great points. Some may not know that the pond is open all the time to anyone that would like to run an electric or sail powered boat. If some of you would like to do something fun like a night run on Friday, that would be great!! We could do one on both Friday and Saturday night.

I will be posting in the near future what other things you can do around the area while you are here for those coming in with family members or will be here before or after the event.

Chris Campbell
admiralscommander

Postby subdude » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:22 pm

You betcha! It's a 3 day event now :D
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am

I like the "Official" three-day event idea. I'd also like an "Official" night run idea, either or both nights, Friday and Saturday.
The reason I say "Official" is that the last few years have been "Who's going over to the pond to run tonight?" With sporadic and uncertain response at best. My guess is because it wasn't something scheduled at a set time like the seminar and Meet 'n Greet. And we were lucky if one or two people showed up. And I know some would go over and nobody else would be there (later to find out, yet.) [myself] They'd leave. Then others would show. Since the first people left by then, they would leave too.

I think it should at least be something on the schedule on both nights at say 9:00, following Meet 'n Greet and/or Sub Seminar. That way at least there's a definite rallying point/time for interested people to leave and meet up over at the pond. I know one thing that has hindered this is members wanting to talk and catch up, which is great, but all could move (the event could move) to the pond to continue the camaraderie there either with a boat or not. You know how the conversations move into the parking lot at Chipotle anyway. Why not move it to the pond, and we can continue talking with boats running as well?

Just a thought. It's easy enough to "Officially" put on the agenda with a specified time. If everyone knows there's meeting at the pond at a specified time, perhaps that would help.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 pm

If you want to try to draw people to the night run, why not have the seminar at the pond under the tent?? That way you could run after the cake/ drinks are gobbled up! Would be a great time for surface boats with lights to entertain the group.
Just my thoughts,
Frank
fgroza

Postby Thor » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Frank,

That is a fantastic idea! I like it! How about move the meet and greet and dinner to the pond? We could have BBQ brought in or something easy like that. Fun run/night run as it gets dark. I'm putting lights on Marlin just for the occasion...... :D
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Although dinner at the pond sounds like fun I think the meet and greet should be left as it is and could move to the pond after.
We don't want to add more work for the guys in Carmel.
Plus I loves them burritos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Ok. I'll go to Hooters and meet you guys over at the pond later. Those burritos dont sit well with my stomach..
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Can it get burritos and hooters?? :mrgreen:
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Eatin' the burritos gives you the pooters.

I likes the burritos too. It's easy enough to just say "8:00. Meet 'n Greet's movin' to the pond now."
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby chips » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:12 am

I'm going to mark the dates on my calendar. Helen and I will be celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary on Aug 7 - at the Sub Regatta (she MUST REALLY love me). :D I happen to work part time; and my usual schedule is Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday; so traveling Thursday is out of the question for me.
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby admiralscommander » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Guys,
We'll be posting more info soon but here are some things that might help.

We are planning on moving the seminar to the pond only if the weather holds for us all. This way you can be at the pond all day. The hotel will be held for us if we need it.

The meet and greet will be at Chipotle and then we can go to the pond after we all eat. If the burrito is too much food for you, they have great salads there, also.

If some of you want to figure out food options for Saturday night at the pond, please feel free. There are several restaurants and some good pizza places.

Chris Campbell
admiralscommander

Postby tsenecal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:50 pm

I have a question, and a comment regarding this years regatta:

question:
what is the subcommittees official statement regarding individuals who are r/c submarine builders/operators that aren't members? do you allow them to come to the regatta? is there a non-member price or fee associated with that? what is the registration fee? when is it due?

and a general comment:
according to this thread, the regatta has been officially changed to a 3 day event, friday, saturday & sunday, (august 5, 6,7), but the official info posting is still stating that the regatta is saturday and sunday, august 6 & 7... should someone change that to reflect the new dates?
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas