Banner Ad 1

Seawolf-class masts

R/C Submarine modelers

Seawolf-class masts

Postby Bill Harris » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:53 am

I'm looking for a reference to the locations and type of masts on a Seawolf. I'm doing a Trumpeter Seawolf and plan to have the snorkel, a periscope/photonic head and an antenna array extended. I think I remember seeing one at one time somewhere, but can't find it.

Thanks,

--Bill
--Bill
SC# 3128
Bill Harris

Re: Seawolf-class masts

Postby Kerry Addington » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Bill,
Here is a 16 NOV 07 shot of SSN-22 resized from a navy.mil release
-Kerry
Kerry Addington

Postby Bill Harris » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks for the photo, but the are beaucoup picture of the masts available. I was looking for a reference that showed which mast was what. The snorkel is easy-- the fat one at the rear. The two "AN/" arrays are probably antennas, so I'll pick one that fits best. The two "Type 18 or 8 " masts are optical periscopes, but since this is a modern boat I'll assume that the video-photonics head is used in preference to the optical scopes, and it must be the remaining (unnamed) mast.

The thin styrene masts will be breakage-prone, so I can make them out of .070" carbon fiber rod and mold the mast fairings from epoxy lightened up with microbeads. I did a quick weigh and the new limited number of masts weigh no more than the six stock plastic ones, so it's good from a balance standpoint.

Onto the next hurdle... :D

--Bill
--Bill
SC# 3128
Bill Harris

Postby Kerry Addington » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:47 am

Someone out there probably has a newer drawing with the HDR and other changes, but here is an old diagram with some identifications:
I haven't seen any recent shots of a 21 with the Virginia-type photonic masts like these,
but who knows what's on them as we speak so I wish you happy hunting!
Please post any (share-able) updated sail arrangement diagram should you discover.
-Kerry
Kerry Addington

Postby Bill Harris » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:59 pm

That "Figure A-7" drawing is about the only thing for reference. The "AN-BRD-7" is a direction finder, so I'll need the "AN-BRD-34" antenna array. I'm not going to sweat doing an actual SSN-21 Seawolf, just a generic seawolf-class sub, so 101% accuracy isn't needed. This is my "r/c trainer sub", so getting sub-building expertise is more a goal than scale details.

I will use a SNORT ballast system and the intake for the LPB will be the snorkel tube. This may not be necessary, but this is the way I want to do it.

The next sub planned, and the hull won't be ready to sell for months, is RPM Tech's 1:72 Foxtrot. The old-school diesel boats have a certain aesthetic...

Thanks,

--Bill
--Bill
SC# 3128
Bill Harris

Postby Pirate » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:24 am

I haven't seen the Seawolf with photonics yet either. Perhaps more recent pictures of the "Peanut" may have it.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bill Harris » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:15 pm

I looked at 5 pages of Google-images and didn't come up with anything definitive. This is the best photo of the Jimmy Carter sail I found (thus far):

Looks like the Carter has advanced features over the earlier Seawolf-class boats, such as ROV capability.

--Bill
--Bill
SC# 3128
Bill Harris

Postby Pirate » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:51 am

It doesn't look like anything has changed since the Seawolf then. It's got the old attack and nav scopes on it. Go with it.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler