Banner Ad 1

Bow and stern planes control?

R/C Submarine modelers

Water Tunnel

Postby redboat219 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:02 am

Would be nice to see something like these done with the seaview

http://www.instructables.com/community/ ... ng-photos/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHFFZ1ru ... PL&index=8

Or we could use something similar to this on the seaview's bow. http://www.colorado.edu/MCEN/flowvis/ga ... nt1/Wu.pdf

Not a water tunnel but you could get or build one of these.
http://shop.pitsco.com/store/detail.asp ... t=1&bhcp=1
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:06 pm

The best way to check for leaks is to never place the boat in the water in the first place. But rather place a bit of pressure inside the WTC and coat all the usual suspects with dish soap and water solution. The very smallest leak will be shown as a foam of bubbles. Nothing gets inside the WTC to find your electronics and you can fix the leaks easily.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Or...do you mean to use that solution John to detect hydrodynamic flow?

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby junglelord » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:04 pm

Yes, dynamic flow, but that was still good information.
:wink:
junglelord

Postby Robert F. » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Well, this thread has been changing slowly from questions about bow and stern planes to ways of checking hydrodynamic flow.

I don't mind, actually, since I received enough useful responses to keep me busy for a while. But before this thread evolves even further, let me answer Steve's and Dean's remarks about posting build reports and photos.

I will indeed post build reports and photos. In due time, when I think I have something new and/or interesting to show. After all, so many people have been building this model. I have also recently moved house and plan to do so again within about six months. Besides, I am a slow builder.
In other words: it will take some time before I will show some work on this boat. But it will be done!

Thanks again for all your help,

Robert
Robert F.
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:50 pm

Robert that all sounds reasonable, however. I have only seen a few build threads on this boat and mine is one. So don't let that stop you. There has not been that many. And few videos of the end result.

You will be charmed by this boat when you have it running and it's sure to attract attention at the local pond. After all. It is the Seaview.

Take your time and enjoy the build. Check and double check everything before it ever hits the water.

Steve

SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Hey guys, not to stir up a controversy (too much :twisted: ), but I have it on the authority of someone who knows someone who knows...... well you know the drill. Anyway, according to this un-named thrice removed source (does it get any better than that?) who actually worked on the studio models, those lines on the manta fins never represented bow planes at all. Rather they were replaceable inserts, needed because the fins kept getting banged up during filming. I make no claim as to the validity of this info (though the fellow who knew the studio guy is someone whose word I would trust), but it does sound plausible to me. That detail would hardly be noticeable to the audience, and I'm sure the production crew couldn't have cared less if the thing took a nosedive at speed.
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Robert F. » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:48 am

Hi George,

well, that's interesting to hear.
But instead of stirring up controversy, I think you just helped preventing it. :lol: :twisted:
Because there is always a chance of people starting having comments about one's model not being "correct". And although I strive for maximum accuracy in models of real submarines, I think in the case of the Seaview, a modeller can allow himself some artistic licence. After all, the original itself is a perfect case in point; Cadillac fins and manta bow on a sub, indeed!

And your story of the real, down-to-earth (or rather, down-to-the-bottom-of-the-sea :wink: ) reason for the lines on the manta fins only underlines that sometimes, practicality prevails over everything else.

So, on with the bow planes, and damn the giant squids!

Robert
Robert F.
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Robert F. wrote: there is always a chance of people starting having comments about one's model not being "correct". And although I strive for maximum accuracy in models of real submarines, I think in the case of the Seaview, a modeller can allow himself some artistic licence.
Robert

I'm with you there, Robert. As with the Disney Nautilus, the variations between the different shooting miniatures and the live sets leave the modeler with plenty of wiggle room. Then you have to decide: are you modeling a filming prop, or the concept submarine it represents? I tend to favor the latter myself.
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:51 pm

I wish I could build another one to see if it makes a difference to use them or not. Still I never saw them function in the movie or the series. With that blunt LE and TE they look odd and not very attractive.

When I first ran my boat without them she did nose plow for sure. But I re trimmed the boat and found that if I drive her like a real boat and eased on the throttle she dove as in my videos here very smooth and level.

My main reason for not using them though was cosmetic. To me they just look ugly as sin.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby junglelord » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:53 pm

They are ugly...ugly as sin, you got that right.
junglelord

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler