Banner Ad 1

On Eternal Scale Patrol

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Sub culture » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Problem with a release buoy is

1. It can misfunction itself.

2. It can get caught in weeds etc. the very think that may have snagged your model in the first place.

A pinger can be checked at the pondside. It's self contained so isn't affected by leaks etc. in the main wtc/module.

Proven in the field at enabling you to locate your model, when used in conjunction with an inexpensive to construct hydrophone.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Al Nuci » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Davinci, Are you quite certain using the skiff of the Nautilus as an emergency buoy is your idea? Have you even received the Nautilus kit from Bob Martin yet?
Al Nuci

Postby Davinci » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:53 pm

I didn't say it was my Idea. Nothing is New anymore.
I've been trying to develop a design on my own.
I've not seen Bob's design yet.
I asked about his but haven't got a reply yet, so thought I'd start on my own.
I did some searching and found other designs, most are for surface ships, but none look good to me for a submarine.

No, I don't expect to get the hull kit for a few more weeks.
That's why I'm working on design ideas like that, now.
I may never build one since I plan for mine to be a Dynanic-diver only but it's been fun to research, and if I find a simple reliable deploy system I may do it.
--------------------------------------------
* Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *
Davinci

Postby Davinci » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:36 pm

g2tiger wrote:How about a solenoid push rod that activates upon power up and when power is gone the push rod will retract releasing the float? ..

That's a good idea, it would activate in the case of any type system failure.
I already have a failsafe circuit connected to a servo in the WTC, that activates the blow valve on signal loss, and it could also activate a trigger-arm that releases the float. Of course it would not activate if the failsafe and servo are flooded.
I'd prefer to have it on a timer tho, so it only deployed after a given amount of time, not instantaneously with signal loss.
Davinci

Postby Scott T » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:35 pm

Ok this is probably top secret but here is what the top minds suggest(Pinky and the Brain). 8)
Place one watch with faceplate that is slightly radioactive (the name of the material escapes me at the moment lets call it iridium).
Remeber your sub history as they placed the radioactive material in the Proteus.

Now when the gray lady goes down and stays away to long we contact those friendly people with the satelites (Enemy of the State)
and have them swing there sensors across the body of water. They will detect the increased radiation from the watch and give you the GPS coordinates.
Again remember them tracking the Proteus with diminutive radar antena.
Then a EPA group will drain said body of water to discover the source of the increased radiation.Your sub will be found but will probably be encased in place
do to no storage area for atomic waste.

Mike can you do something about that witch avatar. It seems to have had to many pep pills.
Maybe a glasses of warm milk to slow her to a more pleasing motion. Thanks.

Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby kazzer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Scott T wrote:
Mike can you do something about that witch avatar. It seems to have had to many pep pills.
Maybe a glasses of warm milk to slow her to a more pleasing motion. Thanks.

Scott

It's pretty dreadful isn't it! I think I'll leave it like that! :twisted:
kazzer

Postby redboat219 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:22 pm

Agree with the pinger :)
How about marker dye. Mix some fluorescent dye with some oil so that you be sure it'll float.
Just don't use it in a place with strong currents cause it'll drift.
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby Davinci » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:00 pm

The problem with a Pinger is that it can Not get wet.
If the WTC it or it's battery are in is flooded, it no longer operates.
Which is the problem with any electronic device, therefore the need for a mechanical device like a float.
Davinci

Postby Rogue Sub » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:06 pm

A strong flashing led on the out side of the boat set up to fail iun the circuit closed position will blink for about a day on the size batteries we run and in the wet no less. Now considering the brightness of some of these LEDs and you have yourself a great idea. There is even a SCR article on how to make your own very cheap water detection circuit. By doing this you can ensure it will remain an independent system of the the rc stuff and have a very high success rate. I would make it so either function triggers the device. Over complicating things eventually ensures a failure of some sort imho.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby junglelord » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:59 pm

A strong flashing LED that runs anytime and all the time you run the sub, would be even better in my mind. This would be on a seperate external wet battery so it would continue to run dispite shutdown or total fail of the operating system.
PS
I for one offer my sorrows at your lost sub.
junglelord

Postby Tommydeen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:43 am

www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/po ... 04188&rid=
What the heck. buy one of these and get a boat. you could be your own version of the Glomal explorer
Tommydeen
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:49 am

It was not my boat.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Darksheer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:49 am

sorry for the loss of your boat

I am going a different way for a failsafe on my sub
the short version is this

I will have a self contained modual in the conning tower that is set on a timer after 2 hours it will retract a pin and release the entire conning tower from the hull allowing it to float to the surface with a line attached to it.
I am sure this has been done before but it seems to be the best solution for most problems I would encounter
the water I sail in has low visibility but its not that deep

im having the resident electronics tech to custom make the unit as I have not seen anything like this for sale
Darksheer

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:18 am

I'm working on just this system for Al's Nautilus. The buoy has already been constructed and implemented. The Nautilus' skiff is perfect for just this system. A small reel carries about 20' of fishing line. Magnets are used to "push" the skiff away from the model when the holddown pin is pulled by a solenoid.

Finding a suitable timer circuit was a nightmare, but I think I have just the thing waiting for me at home once I get back from my business trip in the middle of August. It is user-adjustable from 5 seconds to 1hr 45seconds and includes a relay that will handle up to 5Amps. The idea is that once the one hour (or whatever time period you program) elapses, the buoy releases and floats to the surface trailing the fishing line behind.

In this design, there are also over twenty high-powered LED lights, so finding the model again as a last resort should take no longer than waiting for dusk and looking for the glow!...

Once I get it all installed and working properly, I'll post up some pictures and info here on the boards.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carcharadon » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:18 am

So many dives I couldn't begin to count, some all across the pond underwater out of sight, down 30 ft and probably deeper many times, impervious to weather, sits outside all year long, one tough reliable sub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRfP9v6ELw
Carcharadon

PreviousNext

Return to R/C Modeler