Banner Ad 1

Dubro Waterproof Pushrod seals

R/C Submarine modelers

Dubro Waterproof Pushrod seals

Postby Nelix6030 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:34 am

I am kind of new to using these seals. After you install them and cut the small hole for the pushrod, do most of you add a small drop of silicone to the end? or does it just seal around the pushrod from pressure. I know a very newbie question, sorry.

Kyle

Nelix6030

Postby Boss subfixer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:55 pm

While I can't answer your question I will say that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, newbie or not. I'm sure someone will chime in with your answer though.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Wheelerdealer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:32 pm

If the push rod is a tight fit through the the seal you should not need any silicone. My WTC are presurised using a piston tank and I dont seal them. I use the graupner ones that already have a hole in them.
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Al Nuci » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:32 pm

I've always found that a dab of professional grade silicone grease to the seals, pushrods, o-rings etc. has been a win win result. That's just my opinion. You can usually find a container of this grease at a local dive shop or marine supply shop. Good luck, Al,
Al Nuci

Postby Wheelerdealer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:04 pm

Al Nuci wrote:I've always found that a dab of professional grade silicone grease to the seals, pushrods, o-rings etc. has been a win win result. That's just my opinion. You can usually find a container of this grease at a local dive shop or marine supply shop. Good luck, Al,

With this type of seal it is a friction fit over the pushrod and the bellow compresses and expands to accomadate the length change (well thats how the Graupner / Robbe bellows work). Silcone grease risk the push rod sliding through the opening rather than being gripped by it.
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Al Nuci » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:57 pm

This is true, however, In some instances it's been my experience to find that the smaller servos will meet resistance with the bellow style seals and may sometimes affect the overall performance of the pushrod throw. I suppose it doesn't hurt to experiment. Al,
Al Nuci

Postby tsenecal » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:59 pm

my belt and suspenders mentality shows the before and after of how i set mine up:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVokLt9

note the one at the top has a zip tie added to make sure the bellows doesn't move on the pushrod.
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

WOW!!!

Postby Nelix6030 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks for all the good input. I was a little concerned about it overworking the servos, I use the Hitec hs-81, so far seem ok, but I just got them in. Thanks again for everyones comments.

Kyle
Nelix6030

Well.......

Postby Nelix6030 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:35 am

I went ahead and bought these, installed them and not sure if I will have problems or not. pushrod slides in and out of the seal, I only poked a small hole and then pushed the rod through.

I think I was expecting the seal to kind of lex in and out like bellows. Haven't tested in the pool yet, thinking I might tie rap them like tsenecal did. What do you guys think?

Sorry for the bad quality picture, only had cell phone on me.

Kyle

Nelix6030

Push rod seals

Postby hampboats » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:04 pm

I have found these push rods seal to be of much better quality. You get 12 of them for $9 including the shipping. They are made of a much more durable rubber. There is already a hole in the end and I usually don't do anything to seal it except a little CA. You should always check the inside of the Dubro seals, because they produced a bunch of them whereby during the molding they produced a bubble in the side wall. Which is actually a thinning of the wall. I went through a whole rack of them at the hobby store trying to find one that didn't have the imperfection. I sent an email to Dru bro and they sent me a couple of free sets for notifying them , but you don't know how many are still on the shelf. The bubble will eventually leak. I found that out after I kept getting a leak in the bellows e

http://cgi.ebay.com/Waterproof-Push-Rod ... otohosting
Dave Hampton
Indy Admirals
www.indyadmirals.org
hampboats
SubCommittee Member

Cool...

Postby Nelix6030 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks for the link, I went ahead and bought a set of twelve. Price seems to good to be true. do they come with a plastic mount like the dubro's? how do they connect to your endcap?
Nelix6030

Postby hampboats » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Yes, the insert come with it.
Dave Hampton
Indy Admirals
www.indyadmirals.org
hampboats
SubCommittee Member

Nice!!!

Postby Nelix6030 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Thanks!!!
Nelix6030

installation

Postby hampboats » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:55 pm

I believe that it might come with the inserts but I don't use them. I glue into the WTC a section of brass tubing 1/4" dia , then put the bellows over the tubing and CA it on.
Dave Hampton
Indy Admirals
www.indyadmirals.org
hampboats
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Nelix6030, your email address in your profile is out of order, you are not being informed about other people trying to reach you (by PM or email).

Please check and correct. I get a lot of bounced mail ...
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to R/C Modeler