Banner Ad 1

How do i control my ballast pump?

R/C Submarine modelers

How do i control my ballast pump?

Postby rockhopper037 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Ok, so i've decided on the type of ballast system i want to use, and i've selected a suitable pump and bladder bag.
What i dont know is how to control the ballast pump?
I need to pump to run forwards, backwards and off.
Any ideas?

Thanks
rockhopper037

Postby Jeffrey J » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:40 pm

it depends on what your setting up, but keep this in mind, your either running a fully filled ballast tank, or fully empty. good luck, Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby aquadeep » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:57 pm

There are several ways to do the same thing just depends on your internal space and budget.

There is the 3 position switch,then there is the 2 microw switch and single servo which is my favorite since its cheap and easy to fix and make.
Then there is the electronic methods of which there are several ways its integrated into other systems like water detection,pressure sensing and low power fail safes and depth control.
And then there is the ESC method and is another favorite since the flow pressure of the pump can easily be adjusted.

Alot more money in the electronic systems and if they malfunction well ,its alot of down time.
Thats why I like the one I can fix at pennies a shot.

To make your own pump controller with microw switches PM for details.

Dave :D
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby bob_eissler » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:51 am

Caswell sells an electronic switch that should work well for the system you describe.
Bob
bob_eissler
SubCommittee Member

Postby aquadeep » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:07 pm

Here is the simple 2 microw switch method,the nice thing about this method is that the radio is isolated from the high power circuit.

Very reliable and cheap to make and repair.

LED indicators can be added to other locations to indicate flow direction or status of switches.

Never are 2 swiches in use at the same time due to the mechanical arm setup.

When making the switch use goop or equivalent lightly applied to the proper side of the switches insuring not to get the glue on the lever as this would jam the switch,clamp them in place so that there is enogh space for the arm to travel and straight across the servo.

Once dried connect to radio ,without the servo arm in place,[zero out] the servo or be sure the stick or knob is at center nuetral position.
Next instal the arm and move the servo via the radio and adjust the throws in both directions so that the servo arm does not over throw or under throw the switches,be sure your radio can do this ,or like on some radios adjust the servo throws from lock to lock with the switches wet with glue no pre drieing ,that way the servo or switches won't get damaged.
Once the above is done saulder up the connections and test the operation of the pump,to reverse the operation of the switch simply reverse the pump leads.
Be sure to use a filter on the pump.

A resetable fuse can be placed as shown.

Microw servos and sub microw switches make for a very compact and neat assembly and if a waterproof servo is used the switches still function in an emergency. :D
PM me if you want one.

Dave :D
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby rockhopper037 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:12 pm

Thanks aquadeep, thats exactly what i'm looking for!
rockhopper037

Return to R/C Modeler