Banner Ad 1

WTC for 1/32 type IX-C

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby dhffr » Wed May 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Dont overthink it. I built the same hull several years back. G10 or Garolite is PLENTY strong. KISS principle works for everything in rc subs. If the deck is in 2 or 3 parts with a couple hold down locations, you will have no problem. Also, with the longer boats, a nice stand that supports the keel and hull will keep it from moving. With the money you save, you could have a photoetched deck designed and cut.

My model was a 3 piece. large center area for the tower and two 16" sections at the bow and stern. When it was bolted down, everything locked together.

Darrin
dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby roedj » Wed May 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Another consideration:

Both Ti and C fiber are conductors and thus don't pass electromagnetic radiation very well. Don't end up building a box that the transmitter radio waves can't easily penetrate.

Dan
"By doing just a little every day you can gradually let the task completely overcome you." - Wil Baden
roedj
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Thu May 07, 2009 10:35 am

No bleed through here. Not to discourage but one more thing to consider and I will shut up. With a type 9 deck, the holes are mostly square in shape to simulate a timber deck.PE will get the corners real tight with ZERO cleanup. Dont know if the waterjet will have that resolution without cleanup and last I heard, there are still no square drill bits for CNC work.
LOL
Darrin
dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby aquadeep » Thu May 07, 2009 11:27 am

I build custom Casings or WTCs ,very strong 1/4 in walls sealed with a special radial seal .One trist and it opens.
Your choice of ballast systems or the one I recomend ,the non pressurized ballast tank pump system,scale dive and surface and hovering,no need to add or remove wigthts at different lakes and completly safe and Eco freindly.

The Casing has 2 removeable caps and random acsses along the Casing.
Engineered not to leak iether from the out side or from within and made from the same material that Scuba Camarra Housings are made from.

No stress desighn in the equipment tray and standard servos are used along with bellow seals that will not jam or leak over a long period of time.
Stainless Steel shafts and oilite buchings packed with grease make the stuffing box.
Water cooled geared drive system for single drive or dual drive or not.
4 inch OD 3 in ID.
For more info see: The Affordable Expandable Casing in this same topic.
Here are some examples
PM if inteested
Dave :D

"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby JWLaRue » Thu May 07, 2009 11:33 am

Having done a lot of PE work for R/C subs and specifically Type VII and Type II U-boats in multiple scales that have *lots* of deck slots, not to mention that OTW contracted me to create the CAD drawings used to create the decks for that beautiful OTW S-class kit.....I think I have enough experience to be able to comment upon this subject.

With the thickness of material being used for PE decks, combined with etching from both sides of the material, the etching process creates very nice edges. The amount of undercut is so minimal, that I cannot see anyone worrying about it.

There's nothing wrong with getting water or laser cut metal if you have that capability available to you. It will possibly be less expensive to use that method for a 'one off' vs. having photo tools made so as to be able to create large numbers of parts. Both processes would require a similar level of detailed drawing to be created....which is where all the work is!

Either way, this is a very nice way to get accurate, detailed decks for our favorite floating subjects.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby aquadeep » Thu May 07, 2009 11:46 am

Yes the Type VIIc stainless steel decks are a work of art!

The best I have ever seen. :D

Dave :D
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Type VII

Postby tincanrider » Thu May 07, 2009 11:59 am

Hi Jeff.
I have the OTW with brass decks, do you sell the SS pe decks for this boat, and what price, or where can I get a set?. Keith
tincanrider

Postby JWLaRue » Thu May 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Keith,

The only place to get a PE deck for OTW boats is through OTW.......Bob owns the rights to the artwork for his hulls. Both the S-class and the Type VII late-war work that I did is now his.

You can get a stainless steel deck for the OTW Type VII directly from Bob.

Other Type VII hulls I can help with. Same now with the 1/32nd Type IIA/B. Gato probably the next offering......

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler