Banner Ad 1

Scale Shipyard TYPE IX-C U-BOAT U-505 -1/32 scale submarine

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby tabledancer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:09 am

John,
A while back I thought about doing this very boat,but I found out that nobody does a deck for this boat so unless you can scratch build one you seem to be up a creek without a paddle.But you might check around because that was a few years ago.If you can get anything going please start a thread,because I would be very interested to follow your lead on buliding this boat.

TD :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Scale Ship Yard's Type 1X U-boat

Postby Mike Dory » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:03 am

Howdy - I built this boat 20 plus years ago. It is one of the best running boats that I have and I have 9 working boats. As a matter of fact I'm running it this Sunday in a regatta at Riverside Ca. It comes with a great set of plans for the outside. As I recall you could get either the long or short conning tower In addition to 1/32 scale, The Scale Ship yard also has The Type iX in 1/48 scale. I built my deck out of evergreen plastic strips, following the plans. While it's a good looking boat, a great improvement would be a brass or other type of Photo etching deck. Just keep in mind in 1/32 scale, it's 8 ft. long and it's not a light weight either. But it sure looks good on or under the water. My very best wishes on your project.....Mike Dory
Mike Dory

Postby Jeffrey J » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:14 pm

http://www.subron6.com/asp/GalleryPicture.asp?id=389
Hi John,
Here is a photo of my boat that I built about 11 years ago. It took 2 years to build working on it every spare moment I had. I was off work for 3 months during the build and it took 3 weeks working everyday to build the deck. Its made mostly of 1/16th lexan and evergreen strips for the wooden areas. Its also 1/32nd I had built it after seeing Mike Dory's on the Vancouver B/C subcommittee tapes. Alot of work but a very neat model when done. good luck. Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby subsurface53 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:02 pm

I have built a couple of the scale shipyard 1/32 scale Type IXs about the same time Mike Dory built his. The deck was scratch built from fiberglass laid up on old plastic sign material. I took the planes of the 1/48 scale shipyard type IX to a blueprint shop and had them scaled up to the size of the 1/32 sub hull. Then I made the deck and attached to the hull of the 1/32 hull and then transferred the blue print by hand to the deck after I had sprayed the deck with primer gray. Then started the process of cutting out the deck slots, laid down the evergreen strips and deck hatches ect. I have both the sort tower and long tower for mine and I switch them back and forth for a change of boat. My type IX is the best running sub I have and I have built a number of 32nd parallels type VIIs,type XXIIIs and the big 10' US Fleet sub. My latest build is a OTW type XXIII.

subsurface53
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler