Banner Ad 1

Can you run RCABS on 7.2 volts?

R/C Submarine modelers

Can you run RCABS on 7.2 volts?

Postby Slats » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:28 am

Only ask as I know typically the pumps are 6v?
OR can these 6V pumps take 7.2?

I like the NiMH car stick batteries which tend to 7.2v packs. Also in my part (Australia) I have not yet found a 6v NIMH pack or a charger rated to do 6v NiMH without being really expensive.

Thanks

John
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby Wheelerdealer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:39 am

I cant imagine it will be a problem, also these pumps only operate in short bursts rather than continously. Another option if you are worried is to get one of those 5v or 6v switching BEC's which will drop the voltage down to 5-6v to supply the pump.
Here one http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer

Postby Art Broder » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:47 am

I have had no problems running those air pumps at 7.2V. I have even run them on 12V without any failures, but I expect they might have a somewhat shorter useful life at 12V. That said, I have not had one burn out yet.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:27 am

If you're running them using a speed controller of some description, then it's actually preferable to run them on a tad higher voltage as these controllers are never 100% efficient.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Slats » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 am

Art Broder wrote:I have had no problems running those air pumps at 7.2V. I have even run them on 12V without any failures, but I expect they might have a somewhat shorter useful life at 12V. That said, I have not had one burn out yet.

Can the clippard valve take 7.2v too?

Thanks
John
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby Sub culture » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:13 am

Shouldn't be a problem (assuming it's a 6v coil?), it's just a solenoid, and inductors are very tolerant of over voltage.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Slats » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Yes Andy it is a 6v solenoid.
J
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby tsenecal » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:41 pm

are solenoids VERY tolerant? ie, can a solenoid pulled from a blood pressure cuff that ran on 3 volts be run on 7.4 volts?... 11.1 volts?

same goes for the motor... if it came from a system designed for 3 volts how long do you expect that motor to stay alive running on 7.4?

Tim
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby Slats » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:39 am

And that still remains my concern Tim, if solenoids and pumps with 6v marked on the outside could run on higher voltage, would not then the tech spec say so?

The Clippard site shows for example the EC-2 avaliable in either EC-2-6 (for 6v) and EC-2-12 (for 12 v).
I cannot find any tech specs that say the 6v one will work on 7.2v OR the 12 v will activate with as little as 7.2v?

Anybody who has run the solenoids marked 6v on higher voltages please comment?

Thanks

John
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby Slats » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:40 am

Thanks John
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby Sub culture » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:57 am

tsenecal wrote:are solenoids VERY tolerant? ie, can a solenoid pulled from a blood pressure cuff that ran on 3 volts be run on 7.4 volts?... 11.1 volts?

same goes for the motor... if it came from a system designed for 3 volts how long do you expect that motor to stay alive running on 7.4?

Tim

It depends on how it is used. A doubling in voltage will, roughly speaking double the current, assuming the resistance of the windings remains constant, which it won't, but lets say it does for arguements sake.

Manufacturers tend to conservatively rate their products, and the voltage rating given for motors and other wound products can usually be exceeded by quite a margin, especially if it's only used in short bouts.

Certainly in John's case, 1.2 volts over is only 20% which is nothing to worry about at all.

Compare this with semiconductors, which will let out the magic smoke if you creep any more than 10% over their voltage rating.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Slats » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:25 am

Thanks Andy.
Good info - appreciate it.

If I run into problems I'll run a UBEC at 6v from the 7.2 battery to the solenoid and pump.

Thanks
John
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Return to R/C Modeler