Banner Ad 1

How The Snort System works

R/C Submarine modelers

How The Snort System works

Postby kazzer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:41 am

rockhopper037 wrote:Kazzer

I'm struggling to understand the Snort principle, it there a diagram of the system anywhere?

Thanks

Try this - it's a Flash diagram

http://forum.sub-driver.com/images/brotator/sd.swf

The water is pushed from the cylinder by sucking air from the Snort tube in the conning tower and blowing it into the ballast tank. unlimited yet realistic dives can be achieved.
A simple servo operates the vent valve on the top of the cylinder.

In the event of an emergency only, the on-board gas tank is discharged into the ballast tank when the fail-safe kicks in. This will recover you from almost any deep pond or lake as the pressures in the gas system are much greater than any air pump.

If you were in a pool where you can easily recover the boat, (e.g. swimming or paddling pool) there would be no point in using the gas, so you would only use the Snort.

Boat is trimmed with the tank full of water, so the Snort tube is just above the surface. So, if boat is at 'stop engines' flooded ballast tank (or just dead in the water), it will float to just below the surface. A fail-safe, if you like.

Most people operate their boats in lakes so that they can see them. (Very wise) and so a snorkel cutting through the water is almost welcome if the light is wrong.

To dive, flood the ballast tank. To deep dive, dive planes down, full ahead and down you go! I found on my D&E Skipjack, that I didn't need to adjust forward dive planes, so these can even be fixed.
To surface, dive planes up, slow down, and up she pops to expose the Snort tube, suck air and blow the ballast tank!

It works really well for me, and I'm relatively new at R/C control of these boats.
kazzer

Postby expfcwintergreen » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:21 pm

Sounds like the system Skip employed in his Sub-Tech ALBACORE kit with the PBU (propel back-up) option...?? :?
expfcwintergreen

Postby kazzer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:31 am

expfcwintergreen wrote:Sounds like the system Skip employed in his Sub-Tech ALBACORE kit with the PBU (propel back-up) option...?? :?

I think you are mistaken. That system had some sort of Subtech T valve in it and pumped water, not air, so I am led to believe by His Eminence.

The snort has no valves in the two tubes. The pump works one way only, sucking air from the surface from one tube and pushing it into the ballast tank with the other. Very simple!
kazzer

Postby Sub culture » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:52 am

There are valves, they're just built into the head of the pump.

Essentially both systems are aspirated designs, with a gas back-up.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks for the clarification Andy. As you pointed out in another post, there is nothing new under the sun. We all base our work on those who go before us.

That is the point I was trying to make... :D
expfcwintergreen

Postby rockhopper037 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Ahhhh, thanks Kazzer, thats much clearer!
Will the boat fully surface using this system, or is periscope depth only possible?

Thanks
Rockhopper
rockhopper037

Postby kazzer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:46 pm

It fully surfaces when you switch on the Snort pump. Otherwise it surfaces to periscope depth with a ballast tank full of water.
kazzer

Postby kazzer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:14 pm

expfcwintergreen wrote:Thanks for the clarification Andy. As you pointed out in another post, there is nothing new under the sun. We all base our work on those who go before us.

Lets try this again.

I think you are mistaken. That system had some sort of Subtech T valve in it and pumped water, not air, so I am led to believe by His Eminence.

PUMPED WATER - NOT AIR
kazzer

Postby Warpatroller » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:35 pm

Kazz,

Are both (big and small size) of your "snort" air pumps reversible? Or are they only capable of pumping air in one direction?
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:09 am

kazzer wrote:
expfcwintergreen wrote:Thanks for the clarification Andy. As you pointed out in another post, there is nothing new under the sun. We all base our work on those who go before us.

Lets try this again.

PUMPED WATER - NOT AIR

Just responding to Andy's point:
"There are valves, they're just built into the head of the pump.

Essentially both systems are aspirated designs, with a gas back-up."

XOXO
expfcwintergreen

Postby xxl » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:25 pm

looks cool mabe i coud retrofit mine i running the 2 in cylinder in mine
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Postby bharris » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Thats amazing, it sounds like "SNORT" SUCKS and BLOWS at the same time. Pretty ingenious, are we describing this or advertising it? :idea:
Bob Harris SCM# 1974
" No matter where you go there you are"
bharris
SubCommittee Member

Postby junglelord » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Those girls that SNORT, SUCK AND BLOW.
:lol:

Love those babes.
Funny how ships are always ladies....classy ladies.
They go up and down, up and down, up and down
:lol:
junglelord

Return to R/C Modeler