Banner Ad 1

RCABS Question

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Wayne Frey » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:09 am

Wow!
That was detailed! I had to read it twice! Thank you.

Short answer for me is, it works.

It is simple. Both of mine do not leak, and works to the bottom of the pool, and deeper than I care to run my sub.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Albion » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:54 am

Dont forget about RCABS-R, the pressure is already stored.

Another consideration is the foam used to make subs bouyant. foam is compressible and as your sub goes deeper its natural bouyancy becomes less. So a sub which is deck awash, say at the surface dives to 15feet (1/2atmosphere) may no longer be capable of surfacing without addtional help, be it propel or whatever, because the foam will be compressed losing the natural bouyancy.
Albion

Postby kazzer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:42 am

Albion wrote:Another consideration is the foam used to make subs bouyant. foam is compressible and as your sub goes deeper its natural bouyancy becomes less. So a sub which is deck awash, say at the surface dives to 15feet (1/2atmosphere) may no longer be capable of surfacing without addtional help, be it propel or whatever, because the foam will be compressed losing the natural bouyancy.

Good point. So, I guess you are saying that if your system pump/compressor is at it's limit, the foam could be the straw that breaks the system's back? That's a tight window?
We're using 6lb foam to make custom molded foam inserts for the Revell VII. I'm not sure of the weight of pink foam, but need to research that.
kazzer

Postby Art Broder » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:19 pm

Remember that with RCABS, the air in the WTC is at atmospheric pressure even when the sub is down to 20ft depth. The pump has no problem pumping that uncompressed air into the bladder, despite the water pressure, and bringing the sub to the surface.
Also I haven't experienced any leaking into any of my WTC's in many RCABS models, over the last 10 years or longer. Some modelers may have WTC's that leak, but they should fix the leaks during testing, and not run a sub with a leaky WTC. A good way to test on the bench is to fill the bladder, wait for an hour or two, and then release the air from the bladder back into the WTC. If the bladder does not deflate quickly and COMPLETELY FLAT, there is a leak that needs to be corrected.
None of my 25 year old bladders have ever burst in a sub in all those years either.
I hope I have dispelled some of the misconceptions that have SURFACED. Pun intended.
Last edited by Art Broder on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby rockhopper037 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:50 pm

Wow, thanks for all the advice!
A further question, does the RCABS bladder need to be outside the WTC, or can the bladder be installed inside the WTC?
rockhopper037

Postby expfcwintergreen » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:32 pm

Outside. If you would like some pictures, please PM/e-mail me. I would also be happy to answer any questions if you decide to build your own.
expfcwintergreen

Postby kazzer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:03 pm

rockhopper037

Give me a call on my London UK number, it's a local call for you and gets me directly in the USA.

I'll PM it to you.
kazzer

Postby Albion » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:26 am

rockhopper037 wrote:Wow, thanks for all the advice!
A further question, does the RCABS bladder need to be outside the WTC, or can the bladder be installed inside the WTC?
Outside the pressure hull, but some mount them inside the tubing but the tubing has holes in it. ie the tube just keeps the bladder in shape
Albion

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:35 am

My reverse RCAB when I first got it from Big Dave.
The copper tank at the front of the WTC holds the air pumped out of the bladder. In this picture that section is standing on its end, with the pink battery compartment resting on it. The tank has a tube through the center for the wires to the battery to pass through. A slick,simple, tight operation.
Using the reverse RCAB, all of the pressures and vacumes are confined to the tank and the bladder, leaving the wtc and seals unaffected by any pressure changes by the ballast system. Only natural pressures of depth :

It works, to me, perfectly.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby rockhopper037 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:33 am

Kazzer

I'm struggling to understand the Snort principle, it there a diagram of the system anywhere?

Thanks
rockhopper037

Postby kazzer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:37 am

rockhopper037 wrote:Kazzer

I'm struggling to understand the Snort principle, it there a diagram of the system anywhere?

Thanks

I'll reply to this in a new thread.
kazzer

Postby kazzer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:51 am

expfcwintergreen wrote:My RCABS successfully failsafe-recovered from the bottom of North Lake with no issue. I believe the depth in the center is ~12 feet. Ask Merriman to confim depth. Ask the SR4, 8 and SubCom East folk to confirm recovery if you wish. That is as deep as I ever need to run.

I asked His Worship and he said he remembers the lake and event very well. Good grief - I thought I was his next 'raw meat meal' he was so aggravated! :D Thankfully, he was in his locked cage and his granddaughter had the key. He told me he spent over 2 hours diving the lake, looking for Skip Asay's sunk boat, when almost everyone else had gone home! :cry: ( He could have drowned while you lot were at the pub!) :(

I think he called it 'breath diving' or something like that. No Scuba or Snorkel. His verdict -NINE feet - after a thunderstrom! And he wished to remind everyone that there is a concrete platform in the middle of the lake and painted on the side of it is a sign which says, "NINE FEET".

Next time guys, you ask him these questions, I'm too scared! :shock:
kazzer

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:56 am

Why are you so scared arent you the Boss?
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby expfcwintergreen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Actually, the platform is well off to one side (near the heads).

Regardless, the boat was deeper than I would typically run and my RCABS worked flawlessly with zero leaks.

Did I mention how cheap and easy it was to put together? :D
expfcwintergreen

Postby kazzer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:06 pm

Nuke Power wrote:Why are you so scared arent you the Boss?

Now, Kevin, you should know better! The Wizard is completely unemployable! :D
Although he is doing a lot of troll's work these days, he is his own man. So just get back to swabbing those decks, or I'll let him out of his cage and at you!
kazzer

PreviousNext

Return to R/C Modeler