Banner Ad 1

S-51 Builders Log

R/C Submarine modelers

Re: Sub Tech

Postby expfcwintergreen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:46 pm

Pipes wrote:Is Skip Assey and Sub Tech still out there anywhere. Skip has not responded to an E mail address I had

I spoke with Skip about a month ago. However, I sent him an e-mail last week and haven't heard back.
expfcwintergreen

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Sub tech s still out there. It is now owned by a gentleman in the UK.
http://subtech.uk.com/
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Skip Asay » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 pm

Hi Charlie -

Long time, no hear. It's good to see that you're back in the game.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over repeating your 25 year old set up of using the hull itself as your pressure hull. It's a system that works. Just be sure you leave enough room between the 2 sealed compartments so you can fine tune ballast tank location.

The leveler that you used so long ago was superceded by APC-1, -2, -3, and then -4. I've since sold SubTech but now Mike Shubar (mikessubworks.com) is in the process of coming out with a UPC (Ultra Pitch Control) which should be released by the end of March.

BTW - my name is spelled Asay and pronounced AC. Just thought I'd get that in there.

Chris (expfcwintergreen) - Try sending that email again. I didn't get it. On second thought, I'll PM the address just to make sure.

Skip Asay
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Good to here from you

Postby Pipes » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:06 am

I have been designing RC Model Airplanes for years since I retired. Have one of my last designs of a Gee Bee Racer in the April edition of Model Airplane News. Reached burnout due to having to meet deadlines. (I'm sure you can relate to that with your business)

Decided to take this year off and clean up the shop along with working on the house I started years ago. In cleaning the basement out I have now drug out the old S-Boat hull that Armand Veronico returned to ma a few years ago.

Right now I am working out the sequence in my mind. Today I will start the conning tower clean up. Thought I would do it completely thru first to ease back in to it. I will really need to chase down a lot of materiel. At least I have a decent shop finally after retirement. I built a home with a large basement and my shop is 30 by 30. I can set up a dedicated bench to the project.

You still in Jersey?
Pipes

Hey Skip

Postby Pipes » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Made the first small steps to a beginning today. (Picked up the Shop)

Found a second set of conning tower parts that are not as heavy and in bettery shape.

Blew the plans up 120% to match the hull

Even dug up an old radio which even though it still works, is going to Futaba to be converted to 75 Mhz and a complete tune up.

Of course I own many of the new computer radios as I have a shop full of RC model planes, but it just seams write to pull this dinasour out to use on this project. 25 years ago it was my first serious radio and we used it at the regatta you flew our for. Do you still have the Type XXIII you brought out.

Pipes

Re: Warpatroller

Postby Warpatroller » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:07 pm

Pipes wrote:Warpatroller you say you are building the 32 Parallel Type XXIII.

Is it the older vacuformed hull?

Yes, it is a vacuformed hull. My particular copy of the kit was manufactured in 1995, so it has a few design changes when compared to the original 1984 release. Even though it is a plastic hull, I think it is more robust and durable than then typical styrene model hulls of the Revell GATO and VIIC and other static model kits, plus it is a much larger scale. The tower plastic is thinner than the hull, but that was done to reduce weight so the boat doesn't have a big heavy tower up top in relation to its smaller hull size.

Most people think of the XXIII as having a big tower, it is a normal size tower when compared to say a VIIC, it is just the fact that you have a standard size tower on a small hull which makes it look big on the boat. The usable area on the bridge for men to stand was less than the VII though.
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Type XXIII

Postby Pipes » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:41 pm

The Type XXI and XXIII never had a great appeal to me although Skip Asay's 1/24th scale version was one of the best looking models of its day.

I am for some reason drawn to archaic things with large amount of rigging. If you look in the background of the airplane photos on the first page you will see a privateer model.

I did not get a lot of time on the boat today as I had a daughter home from school sick.

Managed to find the best of the four pieces and have sanded and fitted them. Tomorrow I will stop and buy some resin, cloth, mat, and parting wax if I can find it.

The conning tower will need a floor forward of the periscope sheers. I will make up a layer of 1/8 inch thick fiberglass on a waxed glass panel to make the floor. The sheers will be casting of resin/microballoons with three brass tubes cast in to support the periscopes. The forward periscope mount is simply a brass tube cast into a block of resin/microballoons and turned to a taper on a lathe

Pipes

32 Parallel

Postby Pipes » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:47 pm

Is 32 Parallel still in business out there?

Also does anyone have a site for bronze or brass props?
Pipes

Postby Warpatroller » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:48 am

32nd Parallel ceased to do business somewhere around 2001/2002, but I'm not sure of the exact date.. From my information, the business was founded in 1980 and their first submarine kit was the VIIC which was released in 1981. It appears they were in operation for about 20 years.. The first time I ever heard of them was from seeing a magazine ad that displayed their Type VIIC back in 1992.

I was told that their molds/masters, custom vacuformer machines etc. all still exist and they have wanted to sell the business, but their asking price is pretty high.. So it sounds like the operation is just sort of "warehoused" and stored away somewhere.. Hidden relics of a bygone RC boating era.. Who knows, maybe some of their stuff will resurface somewhere...sometime and 32nd Parallel shall live again! 8) I have returned! Ponds nor Lakes shall be safe no more! The Power of the Parallel is strong within me! :D

Here is a site that sells a bunch of brass props: http://www.loyalhannadockyard.com/

I'm sure someone else can add a few more prop sources.
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby Skip Asay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:05 am

Do you still have the Type XXIII you brought out.

Yes, I do. And I'm preparing to celebrate her 29th birthday on April 1. And she still works like a charm!

Skip Asay
Skip Asay

Postby Thor » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Skip,

Any chance you might have her at the Regatta this year?

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Skip Asay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:53 pm

"If the good Lord's willin' and the crick don't rise", she'll be there. That said, I do have to refurbish the exterior. She's been "rode hard and put up wet" with some detailing that isn't up to my (admittedly, somewhat low) standards. But I don't see any problems between now and then. With a little luck, I'll have my 24 year old Type II which is also in need of some work.

Skip Asay
Skip Asay

Postby Bigdave » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:01 pm

That will be great to see the subs again and actually in the water!! :shock:
The last time I saw them they were on the shelf in your shop. :D
The last time I saw them in the water was the Valley Forge regatta back in the 80's. :lol: You certainly build them to last my friend!! :D
Hope you are doing well. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Fiberglass supplies

Postby Pipes » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Well todays accomplishment was the start of replenishing the supply cabinet with items needed for fiberglass boats.

41.00 for glass supplies and bondo.

The S-boat was designed around the concept of the hull being split (top and bottom) along the water line.

A fore and aft dry compartment with an area for a ballast tank in the middle. By the time I had built the second boat I realized the tops of the ballast tank and dry compartments should be at the water line. Any airspace in the ballast tank above the surfaced waterline is wasted adding no boancy. The same goes with the material in the dry boxes. It is wasted weight if they are above the waterline.

I used the hull as part of the dry compartment by simply putting in bulkheads fore and aft and adding a fiberglass top to each compartment (at the waterline) of flat fiberglass panels (Made the panels by laying them up on glass sheet ot give a smooth surfase for hatches to RTV to.

Thought I would post these shots of the original Navy model of the S-48. It is in the Washington Navy Yard Museum

Ill work up some drawings as I go and post them.
Pipes

Postby U812 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:38 pm

I love this boat! Enjoying watching the build.

Skip how about some pictures of the old girl. I'd like to see her.

Thanks,
Steve
U812

PreviousNext

Return to R/C Modeler