Banner Ad 1

ESC for Robbe U-47

R/C Submarine modelers

ESC for Robbe U-47

Postby gawnefishing » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:35 am

:x Can anyone suggest a brand & type of speed control for the Robbe U-47? I am planning on using 2 Graupner 6v speed 400 motors with 3 to 1 gearbox.
I was told by my nearest hobby store owner that the waterproof Traxxas EVX-2 would be the one to use. But the owner said the he doesn't know very much about rc subs.
I am very new to this type of hobby and I do not understand what kind of "extra" electronic parts that I'll need.
Dave from Pier 72 told me to watch my amperage. Would that be what the total amps of the electronic system? (drive & batterys) Or what the full load of the speed control can handle?
I'm lost and about at my whit's end.

Thanks, Matt
gawnefishing

Postby tsenecal » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:04 pm

I am using an mtroniks ESC (eco 15?) in mine, and I am using the speed 400s with 3.33:1 planetary gearboxes.

at the time it was the cheapest ESC i could buy, and all mtroniks, by design, are supposedly waterproof
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:29 pm

I just asked a similar question a few days ago. Based on the responses I received, it looks like you could use the same ESC that I will be using.

It is the Mtroniks MicroViper Marine10 (10 AMP) ESC. It is supposed to be fully waterproof. When someone told you to "watch your amperage", they meant to make sure your motor / gearbox / propeller combo will not draw more current than the maximum amperage rating of your ESC, which would be 10 Amps in the case of the Marine10.

If you can find out your motor's stall current draw amperage rating, then as long as this number is less than the ESC's max amp limit you should be fine.

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler