Banner Ad 1

Where to buy 1/32 U-boat deck guns?

R/C Submarine modelers

Where to buy 1/32 U-boat deck guns?

Postby schmitty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm

I just purchased a built but in need of a re-fit 1/32 Type IX U-boat (I think a scale shipyard hull) at a model swap meet. It looks like it was built and finished in the late eighties to early nineties and although very well built it could use some upgrading. It's current deck gun is a 88mm flak cannon. My question is: Does anyone know where I can get 1/32nd scale deck and AA guns? The deck gun should be a 105mm but I could convert it to late war conning tower with extended wintergarden and additional AA guns with no deck gun.

Many thanks
Schmitty
schmitty

Gun Kits

Postby Mike Dory » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:41 pm

Howdy - Check with Lee Upshaw (Sacle Ship yard) for the forward 105 MM deck gun kit. (He is listed on the vendor page, of this web site, I believe) Also Check with internet hobbies or your local hobby shop for 1/35 scale quad four 20 MM plastic gun kit. You have to build the naval mounting plate but you can't beat the detail of these guns kit. With these parts and some photo's it's easy to build up either the quad or the twin 20 MM guns. Look for a book called "The Type V11 U-Boat" in a series called "the antomony of a ship" In the back pages of this book are l/32 scale drawing of these guns. I don't recall the ISBN number but if you look up Jeff LaRue here on the boards (He's the guy with the red sailfish logo) He will have it I'm sure......Best Wishes on your project ...Mike Dory
Mike Dory

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Mike's suggestion to look for a copy of The Anatomy of the Ship: The Type VII U-boat is a very good one. Probably the best single place for drawings of the guns (and other items). Here's a link to Amazon.com for the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Type-VII-U-Boat-Anatomy-Ship/dp/1591148863

You might also check with OTW for the Wintergarten guns. Bob offers them as part of his late-war Type VIIC kit, they might work for your Type IX.

-Jeff

[/url]
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby schmitty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks for the info. Lee and the scale shipyard do not make one. It seems if I want an accurate 105mm I'll have to completely scratch build one. I think I will probably do that rather than convert it to a late war boat.

Jason "Schmitty" Milsom
schmitty

88 mm Deck Gun!

Postby tomwittstock » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Schmitty,

I just received my 54mm scale (1/32) 88mm deck gun with 3 figures made by Andrea Miniatures
sold by Squardron.com

They are in Texas, They only have one kit left......I paid $165.00 dollars. This is a very good price..

The gun is white metal and the three figures are also..

Very detailed kit and as far as I know this is the only kit available in the US.

I don't know of a 105mm gun kit.

If you want to view a photo do a search using "Type VII U-Boat Deck Gun and Crew 54mm."

Tom

:D :D
tomwittstock

Return to R/C Modeler