Banner Ad 1

High Quality WTC

R/C Submarine modelers

High Quality WTC

Postby greenman407 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:24 pm

While attending a small fun run at Devils Den I was introduced to a unique WTC that is both innovative and surprisingly economical. Dave Santivanez from Ocala Florida is making these new WTCs to order for any and all comers. I might be next. I was so impressed with it that I just had to share it with you.
Image You can see the WTC in the background but first look at the drive unit.It is a standard 540 size motor with a twist. The shaft exits both ends. One end goes into a ball bearing gear reduction unit to turn the prop. The other end is attached to a neat little water pump that provides cooling water for the motor. That my friends is so cool!

Imageso now lets take a closer look at the unit.

Image Here is a end cap for one end. In this case it has a pushrod and water proof bellows seal exiting to power the bowplanes

Image The other side of the endcap reveals the servo. In this front compartment also goes the battery.

Image The business end of it. In this case a two motor drive unit. Also of note is the shaft seals. Long brass stuffing boxes filled with grease with a oilite bushing on the ends .Dave says that they absolutely do not leak. Also visible here is a rod attached to a on/off switch.

Image Here you can see the thick section of the walls. Very robust.

Image And the other side of the joint showing the seal. Just insert twist and turn. Its that easy. Even I can do it.

Image Here is the ballast tank section. Endlessly flexable and reconfigurable to your needs. You can see here the baffles that he has placed inside to prevent water slosh.

Image And here we have a solenoid valve . The way the system works is as follows. It is a pump based ballast system. You start off with a ballast tank full of air. When you want to dive the pump draws in water and expels overboard the air. When you want to surface, the pump expels the water which is replaced by air drawn out of the large water tight area that houses the electronics which as a consequence of this is placed under a vacuum. Once on the surface or at least with the sail out of the water that solenoid comes into play. It opens , permitting the vacuum to equalize and the process can begin again.

There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 pm

dave santivanez" <subcreator1@aol.com>
Dave can be reached at this address. The Wtcs at this time are only available in a 4" diameter. Endlessly flexable. Just tell him what you are trying to do and let him go to work.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:38 am

Looks like he makes them from Valterra RV sewer connectors and parts. Very clever!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby aquadeep » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:08 am

Great article and pictures Mark!

And thank you Tim. :D

I wanted to add that these casings can be made to use any ballast system or none at all.
Any voltage range motors or types and internal or external powersource can be used.
Also with an adapter ring ,regular PVC pipe sizes can be added to make larger ballast tanks for instance.

Vertualy no friction bellow seals that are easy to replace and inexpensive and come in many sizes.

1/8 PVC thick bulkheads make watertight compartments or ballast tanks and baffles.

Apoxies and most glues adhear well to this type of material.

Drilling and threading also ,very easy it will not crack as easely as fragile lexan does.

External electrical connections made by MIL speck cannon plug watertight connector with gold pins or similar pin.

The realy nice feature to this casing is the random acsses ability ,no need to remove the entire components to get at that one part.

Also the inherent desighne of the casing makes it stronger the deeper it goes,by the seals made in the groves in the walls edge not on the internal serface that can destort causing leaks.

Dave :D
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby junglelord » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:22 pm

That is one sweet WTC and I love the water cooled design for the motor.
Its well thought out and in time the hobby will only grow...
:D

Now to get those cylinders in some smaller sizes.
junglelord

Postby aquadeep » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:07 pm

Thank you Junglelord :D

Dave :D
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Return to R/C Modeler