Banner Ad 1

Casing Examples

R/C Submarine modelers

Casing Examples

Postby aquadeep » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:23 pm

Just thought I would show some examples of how the new casing fits and can be expandid.

Both subs are my upcoming OTW Type VIIc and the TYpe XXIII,pricy but beutyfull kits.

Dave :D
The center section can open without having to remove the entire inner components as does the other sections.
If neede to lenthen for larger ballast tank just add the section.
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby Warpatroller » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:51 am

The surface finish of those hulls make them look like they are made of automotive sculpting clay.

I had been wondering if your 4" tube would fit in the OTW XXIII.. Doesn't look like there is much room to add foam along the sides of the tube.

I keep hearing about all the wonderful panel lines and rivet detail that this hull has, but it sure is unnoticeable in those photos. It just looks like a basic hull and tower shape in the pictures. Are the flood holes even marked at all on the tower? As in indicating where they need to be cut out?

Could you post a photo that shows ALL of the XXIII kit contents?

I assume that prop and shaft (in your pics) is the one offered on the OTW website for an additional cost?
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 am

The OTW hulls have a lot of detail. Rivets, plates, hull slots the works. They're cast using polyester gelcoat and resin/CSM, no sculpting clay.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wheelerdealer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:57 am

http://www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Vanguard UK » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:17 pm

Whats happen to those hulls - i had the VII and it should be detailed with 1000s of riviets, deck plates etc & as for the tower?
Vanguard UK

Postby aquadeep » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:05 pm

Yes the detail on both hull is fenominal with tons of parts especialy the Type VIIc there are bags full of tiny parts and no realy detailed drawings but it will be fun to build as alot of research and help from fellow Captains will be needed.
The stainles decks are a work of art just by them selves!

The Casing fits very well in both subs with plinty of space all around in the pics the TypeXXIII has about 3/4 of an inch on both sides when positioned on the saddles,right now there just sitting on the keel and not centralized.
Also this sub has a very high water line therefore not much foam needed but alot of lead also or ballast on the keel to counter the roll the huge tower will induce on her.

The kit comes with a beutyfull 3 bladded solid brass prop and threaded stainless shaft.
Planes and rudder are very stoute or thick and well made.

No large plans.
Thank you WheelerDealer for the great pictures.
They are just paited with primer so that all the details can be seen.

Dave :D
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby Warpatroller » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:55 am

In the one picture posted by Wheelerdealer of the tower, I can see some of the detail. Most of the good close up detail photos that I have seen of that XXIII have been taken of models that have been completely built and finished. It is hard to find good, clear, high-res photos of an untouched hull, that has had absolutely nothing done to it.

If I do obtain one of these hull kits, I will definitely create a full high-res photo review of all of the kit contents so that others can see what they would be getting. OTW XXIII in the raw, up close and very, very personal..maybe one day.
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 pm

Well...one *could* look at the OTW web site for photos showing the details of the Type VIIC hull......

http://www.otwdesigns.com/Type7/type7.htm

Believe me, the detail is all there.

-Jeff (U-boat rivet counter)
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Jeff,
If you want to count rivets I will have to show you my XXIII sometime. :shock:
It is about 1/48 scale I think, and was a limited run by a guy in Germany. I purchased it from Steve Neill. I have never seen detail on any hull like this in my life. 8)
You would get eye strain and go blind trying to count them all. :roll:
I don't know how he did it!! I will take a photo, but they do not do it justice. :D BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:43 pm

BD,

Bring it on! I love looking for the correct detail.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:59 pm

I have been on the OTW website and I have seen the pictures of the VIIC hull. Unfortunately, Bob has only ONE photo of the XXIII on his site, and it is a low-res photo of a finished model, shot underwater in a swimming pool. That is all he has on the entire site relating to the XXIII in way of pictures. He has photos of kit contents of other boats including the VIIC, but none for the XXIII. He sent me a scan of the old Sam Reichart SCR article, but again most photos were of the finished boat and all low-res B&W.

Looking at the VII is fine, but that is not the hull I am interested in (too big and too expensive). I'm also more interested in what details have to be added from SCRATCH, to make the model appear like it does in the finished build photos I have seen of it. The very few pics I've ever seen of the untouched hull, and the finished model look like such a night and day drastic difference to me, that it is almost hard to believe it is the same model. It also appears that the hull surface needs sanding and filling all over the seams on the whole boat and the entire inside surface of the tower.

I have no experience with GRP hulls, so these assumptions may seem ridiculous to those who have already built and handled several GRP hulls. I wouldn't want to pay for a hull not knowing exactly what I was getting into to finish it. If that was the case, I'd be concerned that I might have to end up trying to sell it on the sub swap for a loss.

Dave - I have seen VERY nice, CLOSE UP photos of that 1/40th XXIII (in the raw) that were taken by both Gantu and Steve Neill. As a matter of fact, I had contacted Steve when he put that hull up for sale last spring. He told me what would be needed to complete it and that is was designed to be a dry hull. After finding out how much scratch building was required to finish it, I passed on it. Passed because I thought there were hopefully other options for a model of this boat that were friendlier to a beginner. I did wonder who ended up with that hull though, and now I know... Dave, that should be an easy project for a guy with your experience.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be arrogant and super picky about the OTW XXIII, i'm just wanting to get a better feel of what is needed to turn it into the well detailed model that others have managed to make from it. Please don't advise I get a nuke boat kit, as I don't have enough interest in those type of subs and would most likely never finish the kit if I got one.

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:17 pm

We need to get Tony Gallonio (SubRon4) to post some photos of his OTW Type XXIII.......

....Tony?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Correct detail I can't promise you :roll: .
You are the best judge of that my friend. :D
But for sheer amount of detail built into the mold I have seen none better. :wink:
I am glad you passed on it Steve. I had actually held it in my hands when Gantu sent it over to Steve as he sent it through me.
Something I did not need but could not pass up. That seems to happen often. Ha!! :lol: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Boss subfixer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Steve,
If you want to see Tonys Type XXIII check out the SubRon 4 thread on the Fun Run we had back in September. Here is a link.
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/ ... hp5?t=7962
You'll have to scroll down through the pictures to find it. It really is a very nice boat. You could also try sending Tony a P.M. and talking to him that way.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Warpatroller » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Don,

Thanks for the link to pics of Ron's boat! It does look pretty cool. It also looks like he did more of a basic build, without getting too heavy into extra detailing. His lack of weathering helps to see the model for what it actually is too. Even in those pics, you can't really see the rivet detail, etc. I guess you have to get in there very close with the camera to really see it in photos.

As I have found with the Revell VIIC, lighting makes a difference too. Depending upon the position of your light source the rivets and panel lines are either visible or almost impossible to see. Weathering and dry bushing should help make them more visible.

I wish there was water as clear as it is in those pics around my area out here!

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to R/C Modeler