Banner Ad 1

Casing Examples

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Here are some pics the best I could do for now ,I have been changing out toilets all day,sorry no kit review today just a quick view.

Last edited by aquadeep on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:11 pm

The hull halfs are very strong and thick FG ,there are vertualy no rivets on the hull nor sail ,scribbing is good not super good as Scale Ships for instance but very close.

it will take alot of work to bring out complete details.

This sub is perfect in size and should manuever very well but more than usual ballast will be needed to counter the huge sail in roll.

Dave :D Amur Ship Yard

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby Bigdave » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:36 pm

It is really hard to see from these photos but you can get an idea of the detail. Many tiny tiny tiny rivets!! Ha!! :lol: BD.

David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:57 pm

Thanks for posting all those photos AquaDeep Dave! I see you say that your hull and tower have virtually no rivets.. That might explain why I am having trouble seeing them on your kit. Hmm.. others say rivets should be on them. I was able to see traces of rivets on the tower in the photo posted by Wheelerdealer.

Did your bow planes come already notched (the angle cut so that they clear the sides of the hull when moving) and were they cut to correct size? Back in the day Sam stated all four planes were identical in shape and the bow planes had to be shaped and notched by the builder, along with having to drill holes in all of the planes and rudder to accept shafts. I read that in the past the rudder on this kit used to be thicker and that somewhere along the line, Bob reduced the thickness of it to make it more to scale with the real one. After viewing Dave's pictures, I still think the dive planes are too thick when compared with the ones on the real boats.

On the other hand yes, Big Dave's 1/40th hull DOES have lots of rivets. It even has the horizontal dashed lines along the sides of the tail which were on the real XXIIIs. His hull is the only XXIII model I have yet to see which includes that detail (without the builder having to add it from scratch). Dave will have to scratch the dive planes, plane guards, rudder, masts, scope base and entire bridge interior on his. Won't you Dave? If I had the tools and materials that you have, I probably would have bought it and you wouldn't have it right now :lol:

As I recall, your hull is probably almost as thick as the OTW one. It really is quite a detailed hull, but it was just that.. only the hull and outer tower structure, as it came with nothing else. That hull has sat around now for almost 3 years so hopefully Dave, using all his tools, gizmos and know how, will finish it and we can all see how good it will look when completed. It would also be a perfect mate for the Robbe XXI as they are the same scale.

Also Big Dave, are those Tamiya 1/16th RC Sherman and Tiger II tanks I see gathering dust on the shelf beneath the XXIII?
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:44 am

Here's a good link showing what can be done with the OTW model-

http://xxiiisubmarine.blogspot.com/
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:57 am

You are close. :roll: :lol:
The one tank is the King Tiger. :D
But you are correct about the dust. :shock: :lol:
Crazy Ivan said my workroom (Dockyard) looked like an old time hobby shop. Lot's of kits, to little time! :cry: :cry: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby aquadeep » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:46 pm

The planes came as seen noched and not shafted :(

Great link also Subculture,I can read his post interesting build.

Dave :D

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler